4

The hallway's walls were embedded with two doors on either side, while the hallway ended straight ahead into a spacious balcony. Each door led to a room and I decided to investigate them one after the other.

The first room on the left appeared to be some sort of storeroom, with all kinds of objects scattered around. As I looked around I saw candles, tubelights, photo frames, stacked chairs, strange craft works and many other items. What caught my eye specifically was an unlid coffin lying almost at the centre of the room.

What was a coffin doing here? I had no idea. Neither did I want to arrive at any hasty conclusions.

Everything in the room was dusty and upon seeing creepy insects as its sole inhabitants, crawling their way around, I decided to check the next room before any of those creeps sprung at me. That would be so gross!

The room opposite to the one I had investigated was properly kept, yet untouched with dust accumulated at places. It appeared that this room had remained undisturbed for a long time.

A double sized bed with green bedsheet lay in the room. The room's walls had been aesthetically painted in cobalt blue with the floor carpeted by a beige green carpet serenely. Visibly, the room was illuminated by recessed ceiling lights once I turned them on in an impressive fashion, while an air conditioner was attached to the wall opposing the bed. A simple yet beautiful balcony was attached to the room with a dusty bathroom as well.

Other than the bed, an empty wardrobe and a couple of empty cabinets, the room was otherwise ideal with each object influencing its significance.

Finding no signs of life, I exited the room and entered the room on the opposite end of the hall.

Upon stepping in, I immediately fell in love with it. The walls were painted in classic rose pink with a purple carpeted floor. Similar lights from the previous room were fixed on the roof, painted in colorful patterns.

A cosy bed lay, covered in white bedsheet and purple blanket. Two appealing stuff toys, a big blue teddy bear and a small pink bunny rested on either side of the king sized bed which I could not help but get attracted to.

Picking the bunny and resting my back on the large teddy, I caressed the two lovingly and kissed each gently. I was determined. I was not going to leave them here. I was going to carry these with me no matter how hard Liam would protest.

Other than the presence of a similar balcony and bathroom, a purple coffin was the only object that stood out in the room. Placing the bunny aside and giving the teddy a breather, I headed towards the closed coffin.

Sighning, I slid off the lid and yelled instantly, landing on my butt. What did I just see? A coffin stacked entirely with makeup products? No, I must have been daydreaming.

Peeking inside, I confirmed my surprise. The inside of the coffin had several projections which helped in stacking various cosmetics one on top of the other.

"What are you doing in my room?"

I turned my gaze to the source of the sound and saw a beautiful teenager of around my age with nothing on but a purple towel wrapped around her body. Her purple dyed hair was dripping with water as she exited the bathroom and raised an eyebrow at me.

Quickly, I stood on my feet and smiled awkwardly. "I...I...I was-"

"Save it," she muttered, "you seem to be a human. Did you not see the lights on when you entered?"

Damn! Was I blind? This was the only room that had its lights on before I had entered, and I never noticed it! Probably because I was so caught up with the beauty of the room.

But wait, human? Why was she so specific about me being a human?

"What do you mean?" I asked almost trembling with fear. "Of course I'm a human. Are you not one?"

She sighed. "No." Her expression turned grave. "I'm not human, but I'm your DOOM! HAHAHA!" At that, two fangs grew out of her buccal cavity and her irises turned red.

I was in shock. My heart leapt into my throat as the vampiress continued laughing maniacally. When she took a step closer, my instinct of flight took over me.

I took off, sprinting past her and out of the bedroom. I passed the other two rooms and quickly made my way downstairs.

"LIAM! LIAM!" I screamed making Liam run out of the kitchen with a sharp kitchen knife.

"What is it Nico?" he asked terrified as he raised the knife to attack.

"A vampiress lives here. We gotta leave, NOW!"

Without questioning, Liam caught my arm and clenching the knife in the other took off from the house.

"Hey stop! You don't need to-" The same vampiress's voice was heard but I did not pay attention to it. Liam's arm lost my grip as I wondered that maybe he had stopped. But I did not, my heart was racing really fast and all I could think was of running away.

Sprinting out of the gates, I kept running over the unpaved path towards the main road through the forest. This fear of mine was about to cause me a big trouble. Had I known that the consequence was going to be fatal, I would have been more mindful.

"NICO!" Liam cried out. He saw it coming before I did. He tried reaching my pace and holding me back but it was already too late.

As I stepped off the unpaved road and onto the main road. I heard a continuous horn ringing. Turning to my left, I finally came to a stop. Wrong move.

The headlights of the vehicle blinded my vision as it approached faster than I had anticipated and before I could have worked my brain to step out of its path...CRASH!!!

My world swirled in front of my eyes, everything becoming vague. With a couple of horrible spins, my body rolled down on the ground for a few seconds, ultimately making me lie on my back. My breath was ragged, I felt something ooze slowly out of my temple with an unceasing burning sensation running all over my body.

My vision blurred. The last thing I remember seeing were two male figures looming over me. Slowly but peacefully, the veil of darkness fell.