Chapter Twenty Three: The Time Turner

The scene around them dissolved. She got the sensation she was flying backwards very fast, but her feet were still firmly on the ground. Around them was nothing but very fast moving shapes and colours.

And then everything came back into focus.

They were standing in the deserted entrance hall, a stream of sunlight was leaking through the open front doors. Hermione quickly undid the chain around their necks.

"What - how - Hermione, what happened?", Harry gasped, staring around himself. Hope too looked around in awe, though she'd known at least that they had travelled back in time. Hermione explained her time turner to Harry, when she was finished his mouth hung open.

"Shh! Listen!", Hope gasped, "someones coming!"

She pushed Harry and Hermione into a near by broom cupboard. She then shut the door behind them and pressed her ear against it.

"I think it may be the three of you", she said, "yes that's definitely Rons voice. You must be going down to Hagrids."

"Are you telling me", Harry whispered, "that we're here in the cupboard and we're out there too?"

"Yes", Hermione whispered. Harry still looked astounded.

"I don't understand what Dumbledore wants us to do", Hope whispered, as she continued to listen to the fading footsteps, "why did he tell us to go back so far? How would this help Sirius?"

"There must be something that happend around now that he wants us to change", Harry said slowly.

"Dumbledore said... He said we could save more than one innocent life...", She remembered.

"Buckbeak!", Harry said, "that's why he sent us back this far! We're going to save Buckbeak and Sirius can escape on him!"

"They can escape together!", Hope gasped.

"If we manage that without being seen, it'll be a miracle!", Hermione whispered.

"I think you've gone past now", Hope said. She carefully pushed open the door to the broom cupboard and looked outside. The hall was deserted.

"We need to keep out of sight!", Hermione whispered, as they began taking the long trip towards Hagrids, around the green houses. They skirted around the whimping willow before sprinting into the shelter of the forest.

"Right", Hermione took a deep breath, "we need to sneak over to Hagrids, keep out of sight - Hope is that you over there?"

Hope looked where Hermione was looking. Around the corner of the tree line she could see herself, confronting Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle.

"They came to watch?", Hermione gasped, "how awful."

"Don't worry about them", Hope said, feeling anger ignight in her stomach thinking about Malfoy, "we've got to pay attention.

"It's us", she heard the other Harry whispering, infront of Hagrids house, "we're under the invisitblity cloak. Let us in."

"This is the weirdest thing I've ever done", Harry said.

The crept along the tree line a little bit, until they were hiding in the trees behind Hagrids hutt.

"Now?", Harry asked.

"No!", Hermione said ,"if we steal him now those committee people will think Hagrid set him free! We've got to wait until they've seen he's tied outside!"

"That's going to give us sixty seconds", said Harry.

This task was looking near impossible.

There was a crash of breaking china inside the cabin.