Chapter Seven: Hippogriffs

The next morning when Hope, Harry, Ron and Hermione entered the Great Hall they could see Draco Malfoy entertaining a large group of Slytherins, by pretending to feint when he saw the Dementor, as Harry had done last night.

"Ignore him", she heard Hermione whisper.

"Hey, Potter!", Shrieked Pansy Parkinson, as they passed by the table, "Potter! The Dementors are coming, Potter! Woooooo!"

"New third year schedules", said George, as she sat down beside him, "what's up with you, Harry?"

"Malfoy", Ron said, glaring towards the Slytherin table.

George looked up in time to see Malfoy pretending to faint with terror again.

"Little git", he said, "he wasn't so cocky last night when the Dementors were down at our end of the train. Came running into our compartment, didn't he, Fred?"

"Nearly wet himself", Fred agreed, sending a glare to Malfoy.

"I wasn't too happy myself", said George, "their horrible things those Dementors..."

"Sort of freeze your insides, don't they?" said Fred.

"Did you say Dementors? As in more than one?", Hope asked.

"We reckon there must have been at least two on the train", said George, "one down our end and one down yours."

"Their scary aren't they", said George, "I wouldn't worry about it Harry. Dad had to go out to Azkaban one time, remember, Fred? He said it was the worst place he'd ever been too. They suck the happiness out of a place, Dementors. Most of the prisoners go mad in there."

Hope thought of her mother. She always had a crazed look in her eye. She wondered what it would be like to never remember what happiness had felt like, it was no wonder her mother looked forward to visitors. It's the only time she got to feel anything other than fear and sadness.

"Anyway", Fred said, "we'll see how happy Malfoy looks after our first quidditch match. Gryffindor versus Slytherin, first game of the season, remember."

"Oh good, we're starting some new subjects today", Hermione said, examining her timetable.

"Erm", Hope was looked over Hermione's shoulder at her timetable, "Hermione your timetables messed up. They've put you down for ten subjects a day, and some of them are at the same time."

"I'll manage", she said, "don't worry I've fixed it all with Professor McGonagall."

"But look", said Ron, grabbing the timetable, "this morning? Nine o'clock, Divination. And underneath nine o'clock, Muggle Studies. And... Look underneath that! Arithmancy, nine o'clock. I mean, ,I know you're good Hermione, but how're you supposed to be in three classes at once?"

"Don't be silly", Hermione said shortly, "of course I won't be in three classes at once."

"Well then -"

"Pass the marmalade", she said.

"But -"

"Ron, what's it to you if my timetables a bit full?", Hermione snapped, "I told you I've fixed it all with Professor McGonagall."

The hall began to empty as people headed off towards their first lesson of the year.

"We'd better go, look, Divinations at the top of the North Tower. It'll take us ten minutes to get there..."

"I'll see you guys later", Hope said. She would be going to muggle studies instead.

Harry, Ron and Hermione finished breakfast quickly and then walked up the hall toward the north tower.