Chapter Twenty One: The Escape

Crookshanks lead the way out the shack. She, Pettigrew and Lupin followed behind. Peter was shaking and sobbing, muttering under his breath.

"What will happen when we get out?", Hope asked, Lupin, pretending as if Pettigrew weren't between them.

"Well once we get out here and back up to the castle we'll need to take Peter first to Dumbledore. From there I believe he'll sort the whole thing out. You four will all be witnesses of course to the story and Peters transformation."

"Will he go to Azkaban?", She asked.

Peter gave a loud sob beside her.

"Yes I believe so", said Lupin, "a life time sentence at least, although, will all the noise surrounding Sirius's recapture it is possible the Dementors will administer a kiss."

"A kiss?", She imagined the gray skinned faces of the dementors lifting their veils to kiss her on the cheek and shuddered.

"A dementors kiss", Lupin said, as Peter began to shake harder, his sweaty arms bumping against her, "is where they suck your soul out of your body through your mouth. If a dementors kiss is administers you would be left as nothing more than a shell of a person. You would simply exist."

"That's awful. I hope they don't."

"Yes- thank you - thank you- clever girl - beautiful girl - you - you wouldn't let them do that to me - you - you'd stop them... Wouldn't you."

She shivered and sent Pettigrew a look of disgust.

Finally they reached the end of the tunnel. Crookshanks went up first, pressing his paw against a knot in the tree. When they emerged it was as though the tree had frozen, not a branch twitched, even in the wind.

It was dark in the grounds, she wondered if anyone had yet realized that none of them had returned for curfew. Snapes floating head appeared next, his head lolling uselessly before he floated out, followed by Sirius, Harry, who were each helping Ron walk, and Hermione.

She felt Pettigrew tug anxiously on the manacle, as if testing to see he really was attached.

"One wrong move, Peter", said Lupin, pointing his wand sideways at Pettigrew's chest.

And then the clouds shifted and they were bathed in moonlight. Lupin froze beside her.

"No..." She grabbed the manacle connecting herself and Pettigrew and attempted to yank it off.

"He didn't take his potion tonight! He's not safe!", Hermione gasped.

She glanced back at the others. Sirius was standing in front of them, his arms spread to hold them behind him. All of them were wearing looks of fear.

She pulled desperately now at the manacle connected Pettigrew and Lupin. Lupin let out a snarl. His head lengthened, his body and shoulders grew out and rounded so he was hunched. Hair began to sprout from all over his body as his hands curled and his nails grew longer and sharper.

The Werewolf slashed at her. She threw herself backwards, knocking into Peter and sending the two of them to the ground. The wolf wrenched itself free of the manacle and prepared to strike again.

An enormous dog leapt infront of them and seized the wolf by the neck, pulling it away. Snarls and the sound of ripping flesh echoed around the two of them as they grabbed and slashed at anything they could reach of the other.

"Hope!"

Pettigrew had dived for Lupins dropped wand. He grabbed it and pointed it at her. She lunged from the ground and smacked into Pettigrews hand, the spell was sent sideways, she heard it hit someone behind her and they collapsed.