Chapter One: Summer Holidays

During the summer holidays Hope often struggled finding things to do. Being alone in the giant castle was different ever since she'd begun attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She would walk into the great hall, or empty classroom, expecting to here the babble of students talking, or the lecturing of one of the teachers, instead she was greeted with silence and empty rooms. During meals she would eat alone at the Gryffindor table with the few teachers who stayed at Hogwarts over the summer, up on the staff table. 

Hope had turned thirteen only a few weeks ago and would be starting her third year at Hogwarts in a few months time. Over the past two years Hope had been on several adventures with her best friends Ron, Harry and Hermione. She'd fought Voldemort in her very first year, after battling her way through a series of enchantments. Last year she'd been taken captive by Tom Riddle - now known as Lord Voldemort, and with Harry's help she'd been able to kill the Basilisk and save Ginny. 

She'd been spending most of her time in the school library completing the homework her teachers had set her for over the summer. She'd also decided to do some reading into the two new subject she would be taking this year, as third years got to select two new subjects to take. Hope had chosen Care of Magical Creatures and Muggle Studies and so far both the subjects seemed very interesting. 

She thought of her best friend Hermione, who'd signed up to take every possible new subject. She wondered if Hermione was going to be forced to pick two at the beginning of the year. She'd been in contact with her friend frequently over the holidays, Ron as well, but Harry had told her not to send any owls to his aunt and uncles house. At the end of the school year Harry had given her a phone number and told her to talk to him using that, however muggle electronic devices didn't work around Hogwarts and she wasn't sure how to use a phone. She had sent Harry a birthday cake by owl a few days ago, hoping that if she sent the package at night Harry wouldn't get in trouble. 

On this particular evening Hope was killing time in the library until she was to go visit her mother in Azkaban Prison. She'd only met her mother once, last year, and the interaction hadn't gone the way Hope wanted. By the end her mother had refused to talk to her because of their arguments about Hopes father. This time was was determined to have a real conversation with her mother, and to not start an argument. Because it was so difficult to get a visiting appointment, this year Hope was forced to visit her mother very late at night. 

She was just browsing through one of the bookshelves when she heard the scraping of the library door opening. At first, she didn't think anything of it. The teachers who stayed at Hogwarts often came into the library looking for books or old newspapers. 

"Hello?", The voice called, she didn't recognize them, "Dumbledore are you there?" 

Hope  quickly wandered around to the door, a man in a rather shabby suit, holding a beaten suitcase, was standing at the doorway looking around. He had shaggy light brown hair and a kind smile. 

"Hello", she said, "can I help you?"

"Yes", the man replied, "my names Remus Lupin, I'm here to interview with Dumbledore for the Defense Against the Dark Arts position. It's been years since I was last here and I can't seem to remember where his office is." 

"I can show you", she stuck out her hand, "I'm Hope, Hope Dumbledore." 

The man shook her hand, smiling a kind smile at her. 

"Dumbledore's daughter, are you?", He asked, as they set off towards her fathers office, "I should've guessed, why else would you be at the school in the middle of the summer holidays." 

"So, Mr. Lupin, did you used to go to school here?", She asked, politely. 

"I was", he said, "I was a prefect for Gryffindor house, back in my day", he chuckled.