Chapter Thirteen: Private Lessons

Harry and Ron continued to be angry with Hermione for the rest of the holidays. Leaving Hope and Hermione to take refuge spending their time in the library.

"Hope", Hermione poped her head around the corner of the bookshelf, "do you remember that essay on werewolves that Professor Snape had us do?"

"How could I forget, why do you ask?"

"Well", Hermione emerged holding a scroll and laid it out on the desk in front of her, "for Divination I've been looking at moon and planetary cycles."

"And?"

"Well", Hermione pursed her lips, "I know this is going to sound rather absurd - but - well the dates of lupins illness seems to be repetitive, and they seem to be around the full moon each cycle."

"Hermione", Hope stared at her, "your not really suggesting that Professor Lupin is a werewolf? Are you?"

"I'm not sure", Hermione said, "but think about it."

She retreated back around the corner again leaving Hope with the chart. She stared at it, thinking of all the other things that could lead to Lupin being a Werewolf. Perhaps the idea wasn't so crazy...

Hope tried to concentrate for several more minutes on her homework, before finally giving up. She had to do more research to either confirm or deny Hermione's theory. Walking through the sections of the library eventually she found a section on magical creatures and pulled out a book about wizard Werewolves.

"Hermione!", I ran back towards her around the corner, holding the book open in my hands.

"In 1987 the most effective cure against Werewolves was created by Damocles Belby, the Wolfsbane potion. The potion allows the Werewolf to remain consious and in right state of mind during their transformation - the potion that Snapes been brewing for Professor Lupin!"

"It all adds up", Hope agreed, "Hermione... Lupin really could be a Werewolf..."

Hermione bit her lower lip.

"Well", she said thoughtfully, "I suppose as long as he takes the potion every month he's not really a danger to anyone is he?"

"He's a Werewolf Hermione", Hope replied, "what if he forgets to take it, or maybe has a disagreement with someone and attacks them when he's transformed."

"That doesn't seem like Professor Lupin at all", she said, "no, I'm sure if Dumbledore allowed him in he must be certain that Lupin doesn't pose a threat to the students or the staff."

*

Eventually Harry and Ron seemed to soften towards Hermione and the four of them went back to classes. After one awful potions lesson, during which Malfoy had come very close to calling Hermione a Mudblood before Hope had thrown her text book at him, Snape had asked her to stay behind regarding the incident. The look on Malfoys face as he'd walked out made her wish she'd thrown the book harder.

Once everyone had left the room she took a few steps closer to Professor Snapes desk. She could see, once she got closer, a large cauldron bubbling away in Snapes private store cupboard. Immediately she tried to remember when the next full moon was taking place.

"Now that term has resumed Miss Dumbledore", Snape said, "I think it wise for us to begin your tutoring sooner rather than later."

"Yes sir", Hope said.

"Come here tonight", he continued, "bring Weasley with you. Six o'clock. If anyone asks you shall be serving detention tonight with me due to your unruly behavior's in my class."

"Thank you sir", she said. She quickly grabbed her bag and hurried out of the room. The thought of her lessons tonight was making her stomach feel queasy. She had never properly tried to use her powers (excluding, of course, when she accidentally used them on George).