Chapter 23.2

In the morning you were awoken by a nudge against your shoulder. Your eyes fluttered open and you realized it was Bahorel standing in front of you. "Your turn." As you sat up, you felt a light weight on you that hadn't been there when you fell asleep; looking down you realized it was Enjolras' red coat. He must have draped it over you as you slept, the thought of that made your heart beat faster. He was sitting next to you in an upright position; his eyes were closed and his features relaxed. It was probably the only time you saw him truly look at ease. You neatly folded the coat and placed it on his lap and gently brushed one of his golden blonde locks behind his ear.

You reached for the pistol in the holster on your belt and got into position. It was still early, the sun was still rising, so it was rather dim. You could faintly make out the sound of birds chirping. Most of the others were either still asleep or in the process of waking up. The sound of Bossuet's snoring filled the air (which was met with a kick in the side), as well as quiet chattering. It was peaceful, or rather, it would have been peaceful under different circumstances.
You observed Gavroche and Courfeyrac talking. Courf seemed to tell him some kind of story, to which he responded with the kind of innocent, overt excitement only a child is capable of. It was a sweet sight, but you had to return to the task at hand.

This would have been the perfect moment for the National Guard to attack; everyone was tired and likely not prepared for battle and the anticipation for something to happen left a good handful as nervous wrecks. It got you thinking if your father would be present during the next strike. If he went home last night, he would know that you were here. You wondered if he read your letter.

Your train of thought was interrupted when you noticed someone come up beside you. It was the man who killed Javert. It was confusing, funny even; you knew what he did and yet you didn't feel threatened in his presence, on the contrary; something about him made you feel at ease. He looked at you for a moment before asking "How old are you?"
"17," you told him.
He smiled. "I have a daughter your age."
"What's her name?"
"Cosette." Your eyebrows shot up.
"You're Cosette's father?"
"You know her?"
"We were friends as children. The last time I saw her was when she left Montfermeil."
"That was you?" he asked rather shocked. He took a moment to compose himself before continuing. "(Y/N), vrai? She talked about you a lot when she was younger. Even now, sometimes."

You smiled. She didn't forget you.

Your conversation was interrupted by the sound of footsteps rapidly approaching the barricade. You took aim, but when you recognized the man, lowered your gun; it was a friend of Feuilly's, but you didn't know his name. He hastily clambered over the barricade and made a beeline towards Enjolras (who by now had woken up and put his coat on again). They spoke in hushed tones, but their faces betrayed a sense of urgency.

Combeferre was the first to speak up "What's going on?" Enjolras hesitantly turned to face you all. "We're the only ones left."
"What?" Joly asked in disbelief.
"The other barricades have all fallen. The last one has just been breached. We're the only ones left."
With a heavy sigh, he stepped forward. "There is no doubt that we will be next. The people have not stirred. Let's not waste any more lives. I will not keep any of you here; you have families, mistresses, children. If you want to walk away, I won't stop you."

You were looking around, as were the others. The desperation that had been in place just seconds earlier was wiped from their faces and instead replaced by a stubborn determination; you all were in this together and would finish what you started, even if it cost you your lives. Nobody moved a muscle, remaining steadfast in their spot.
A small voice emerged from the group "À la volonté du peuple, et à la santé du progrès," other voices joined in "remplis ton cœur d'un vin rebelle et à demain, ami fidèle," in the end, everyone was singing "Nous voulons faire la lumière malgré le masque de la nuit pour illuminer notre terre et changer la vie."