Chapter 24

As soon as the command, shots were fired from all directions. Courfeyrac and you scattered away, barely managing to get behind the barricade unscathed. You quickly took aim as you watched the National Guard bring forth cannons, waiting for Enjolras' order. "Wait for it..."
"Fire!"
You shot at the soldiers, taking out quite a bunch of them as they lined up to load the cannon. Almost immediately after this, they emerged with another cannon. You waited for Enjolras' order again before firing at the Guard. There was an insurgence of men incoming, even more cannons in tow. As the gunpowder's smoke settled, you saw them pointing their guns in your direction; there was just enough time for you to duck when they shot at you.

From the corner of your eye, you saw someone fall to the ground. You whipped your head around; it was Bossuet. He was hit right between the eyes and his body went limp. The whole barricade watched as his lifeless body slumped and hit the pavement. Joly tried to scurry towards Bossuet, but the sound of bullets blasting the barricade held him back.

"There's more men!" Combeferre screamed, "There's more men Enjolras!"
Few moments later, there was a decree to fire the cannons. Before you fully comprehended what was going on, the iron balls pierced the barricade; the wood splintered and loose pieces of furniture flew through the air.
"Advance!" your father commanded his troop.
You were being attacked from all sides. You aimed your revolver at one of the men, but when you pulled the trigger, nothing happened. You tried again and again, each time more frantically. Your hands started shaking as you realized you were all out of ammunition. You wanted to check the magazine to make sure, but someone pushed you.

Turning over quickly, you saw Bahorel being thumped to the ground, his body getting crushed by a cannonball and blood splattering on nearby surfaces.
You felt your stomach churn and a feeling of sickness rose in your throat, fighting the urge to throw up.

You hadn't even realized how far the National Guard had managed to advance by this point until Marius grabbed you by the arm and pulled you away.
Courfeyrac banged on the door of one of the houses, screaming, begging for the inhabitants to let you inside, but no one budged. The army advanced further and those of you left hurried to get away.

One of your comrades was shot in the leg and toppled over. Combeferre stopped in his tracks and ran to his side, attempting to lift him up, but the Guard caught up to him. He was transfixed by three blows to the chest from a bayonet and had only time to cast a glance to heaven when he died.

You reached the parlor of the Musain. "We need to barricade the door!" Enjolras instructed. Marius went outside in order to get some wood. "Marius! Come back!" you called out. Wood in hand, he turned to look at you for a split second. This gave one of the assailants an opportunity to strike and he shot Marius in the back. Monsieur Fauchelevent ran over to him.

There was nothing to block the door with, as all the furniture lay on the barricade. You hastily ran to the stairs. Feuilly knocked down the steps with an axe as Joly helped lift up a few other students.
You could count the number of surviving revolutionaries on two hands.
Feuilly stood by the window, and when he tried to fire his gun, he was shot square in the chest. He fell forward out of the window and plummeted to the ground.

The only thing you had left to defend yourselves with now, was a bunch of empty bottles that lay scattered around in your former meeting room. You picked one of them up and threw it into the opposite corner of the room, hoping to somewhat distract or mislead the National Guard. The other five watched you with confusion and, in a moment of desperation, followed your example.

Joly, Courfeyrac, Enjolras and you hurdled closer together, each one of you trying to hold your breaths, as to not give your position away and slowly tried to advance towards... somewhere other than where you stood at that very moment. You took slow, careful steps, but they shot at you through the floorboards. Joly and Courfeyrac lay motionless on the floor, but you let out an ear-piercing shriek, as one of the bullets lodged itself in your foot.