Chapter 14

The events of the night before left you completely mortified, and you spent the entire morning in bed, replaying the events in your head over and over again, and no matter how hard you tried, you could not get the image of Enjolras' chest off of your mind. 
While you initially intended to wallow in self-pity in your room all day, you eventually decided to get up anyway, to not worry your father again. 

You got changed, took your bag and left, but before you stepped outside, your father stopped you. "(Y/N), I'm working late today. Could you go to the market for me?" 
"Of course, papa." 
He handed you some money and kissed you on the forehead. "Thank you mon rayon de soleil." 

When you told Éponine you were going to the market, she quickly went to change, and when she stepped out, she wore an expensive-looking red dress and spun around; she asked, "How do I look?" 
"Like Monsieur is going to rob you." you laughed. 
"Perfect." 
"Where did you even get this dress?" 
"Do you really want to know?" 
"I suppose not." 

Éponine opened her newly acquired fan, and you went on your way. As you walked around the market, you gave her a detailed summary of everything that went down the night before, and the teasing that ensued was inevitable. At some point during your admittedly rather one-sided conversation, you heard someone yell "Éponine!". 

The two of you stopped in your tracks; surely enough, the source of that voice caught up to you. It was Jehan, wearing an atrociously mismatched outfit; with his purple coat, yellow pants, and a green shirt, you thought he resembled a clown, and by Éponine's expression, you could tell she was thinking the same. 

"Éponine, bonjour! What are you doing here? And may I just say, your dress looks lovely." he asked, a huge grin on his face. She smiled back at him. "Thanks, and you look..." she paused. "Anyway, I'm just helping my friend run some errands." 
"Well, in that case, I'm not going to bother you." he turned to leave, but you stopped him. "You're not bothering us at all. In fact, would you like to accompany us?" 
He smiled at you and gladly accepted. Before you proceeded with your plan, he turned to you. "Where are my manners." he bowed "My name is Jean Prouvaire, though I prefer to be called Jehan." 
You stalled for a moment, overcome with déjà vu. "I'm (Y/N) Moulin." 
He laughed. "Éponine, how many more of your friends are called Moulin?" 

While the three of you did have a fun time together, you had to admit that it gradually became more difficult to pretend not to know him, the references he made or the people he mentioned, especially when you went to the bakery and talked to Ursule and pretended to be unaware of Marius' obsession with the mysterious girl and her handkerchief. 
At some point, you excused yourself from the conversation and went to a tailoring shop, hoping to find a nice chemise for Enjolras to make up for yesterday's mistake. With the help of the tailor, you were able to find a nice one; it was plain white, nothing special, but you hoped it would suffice. 

Not long after you rejoined your friends' conversation, Jehan noticed some of his friends, students you recalled seeing at the Musain before, and said his goodbyes. "I'll see you later... Hopefully." you quickly added and sighed. 

Éponine rolled her eyes. "Do you plan on ever telling them the truth?" You patted your bag. "Does it look like I do?" 
"I suppose not." 
Maybe an hour late, Éponine met up with Marius, and she too, left you. This was the perfect opportunity. 

You went into an alley, gripping your bag tightly, hoping for the worst and soon enough, the worst arrived. "Mademoiselle (Y/N), what a surprise." a voice from behind you said. 
"Montparnasse. I have a business proposal for you" 
"And what might that be?" 
"The weekly gatherings arranged by students are always interrupted by the police. I would need you or Patron-Minette or perhaps Monsieur and Madame Jondrette to cause a distraction during the next few so that they can be held properly." 

He howled with laughter, and you groaned. He eventually composed himself and said, "Does your papa know about your involvement in this 'revolution'? Or is it about that branleur that leads it?"  he lifted your chin with his cane. 
"Montparnasse, please." 
"Risking my freedom for some bourgeoisie boudin! You must think me mad!" 
"I do, but that's beside the point. No one expects you to do this out of the 'kindness of your heart'. I will pay you. Just name a price." 
He considered it for a moment. "Well, if you're being so generous, I'd like a rendez-vous with Éponine." You shook your head. "I can't do this for you. That's something you have to arrange with her." 

He started to walk away. "Well, if you don't want my help..." 
"50 francs!" He stopped in his tracks and turned around. "100." he said. You hesitantly agreed and as he walked back over to you, you noticed a portemonnaie in the pocket of his coat, one you distinctly remembered belonging to Laigle. You handed Montparnasse the money, and while he was distracted counting the money, you quickly took the purse from him. You gave him the details on when the next assembly would take place, then you parted ways. 
"Plouc." you mumbled, annoyed. 

When you arrived at the library (of course, you dropped your groceries off at home), you tossed Bossuet his wallet, which was followed by a snarky comment from Joly, but he quickly halted his jesting. Joly, Jehan, Bossuet, Courfeyrac, Marius and you made it your goal to do as much research as possible in hopes of finding out anything that would help you advance your plans for the revolution. Each of you grabbed several books about history, wars, revolts, etc. 

Reading for hours on end became exhausting; it was getting harder to concentrate, and your eyes started feeling sore, and the other five were feeling no different, and sadly, most of what you read was of no use.
You were on the verge of giving up, when Courf suddenly jumped up from his seat. "Eurêka!" 

Until the , the drinking water in was taken from the river . The wastewater was poured onto fields or unpaved streets, and finally filtered back into the Seine. Around 1200, had the Parisian streets paved, incorporating a drain for wastewater in their middle. In 1370 , a Parisian provost had a vaulted, stone-walled sewer built in the "rue Montmartre". This sewer collected the wastewater and took it to the "". However, the wastewater was still drained in the open air.

Under the reign of , a large ring sewer was built on the right bank, and the river was used as a sewer for the left bank of the Seine.[] On at least two occasions in the late 1700s, Paris refused to build an updated water system that scientists had studied.[] Women were actually carrying water from the river Seine to their residences in buckets.[] Voltaire wrote about it, saying that they "will not begrudge money for a Comic Opera, but will complain about building aqueducts worthy of Augustus".[] himself lost three children to typhoid. Under , the first Parisian vaulted sewer network was built. It was 30 km long.[]