Chapter One

‧₊˚[ S͓̽Y͓̽L͓̽V͓̽I͓̽E͓̽ ]˚₊‧

THERE was nothing that could have prepared Sylvia Snape for the owl that flew through the darkening sky, soaring downward until it reached the window of her small, ancient home with a letter in between it's curved and pointed beak.

Standing still, she watched as its yellow eyes flickered to her, watching her every move as she continued washing her dishes with no intention on moving from her spot at the sink. Her dark eyes remained on the twitching animal, watching as it squawked in attempt to get the witch to open the window.

With its soft but thick brown and black feathers, the creature released a strained hoot!

Reaching for the latch, she pulled it open before opening the window. Eros, her owl, dropped the letter in her hands; which miraculously missed being dropped into the soapy water in the sink.

Sylvia turned and studied the handwriting on the envelope:

Miss Sylvia Esther Snape
of 120 Hart Drive

Sylvia's jaw clenched as she looked back towards Eros. The owl stayed put on the windowsill, tilting his head as he watched her toy with the stamp on the envelope's flap.

As she opened the envelope, she unfolded the letter stuffed away inside, examining the ink scattered across the worn parchment.

To Miss Sylvia Snape,

I would like to ask you in person, but this letter will have to do.

It has dawned on me just how much you enjoyed and cared for books. I would like to welcome you with open arms and well wishes, to become the newest head Librarian of Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. We would be exceptionally happy for you to accept this position at the beginning of the new school year.

With love,
Albus Dumbledore

Sylvia stared at the writing as an odd warmth spread through her chest. Swallowing, she set the letter down on the table before her, looking at Eros.

The bird squawked.
"No," she answered. "Absolutely not. I couldn't. . ."

The memories circled through her mind as she stormed through her home. Sylvia's pet Niffler, Penny, hopped down from the sofa and followed after her as she entered the bedroom.

As she sat down on the bed, Penny jumped up and chittered until she got Sylvia's attention.

"No, no! I don't care if it would be good for me. Penny, you do not understand what happened the last time I was there. I hate to even think about it all again."

She squeaked.

That school is the reason I am living where I am now, owning my own store and talking to a damned Niffler right now! I can't go back!"

Her chest ached as her mind moved to her brother, blinking several times as she replayed that night. Her lips quivered softly, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.