SIXTEEN

I have no idea what went down while I was out cold, but when I finally regained consciousness, I found my buddies Jamie and Jesper by my side. Jesper seemed to be in a state of intense emotion, blaming himself for something that he really shouldn't. Later, I catch sight of my parents who I thought would gaze at me anxiously, but instead, they cast unpleasant glances towards Jesper and Jamie. They started yelling at them, and that's when it hit me why Jesper was blaming himself for my fainting spell.

I opposed my parents in favor of my friends as I believed it was unfair for my parents to hold my friends responsible for my fainting episode. I acknowledged that the blame should be placed on me for fainting.However, ultimately I had to depart, and I sincerely believe that my departure only exacerbated the conflict. I didn't want our friendship to crumble, which is why I defied my parents' wishes. Yet, now I fear that I will never be able to regain the same level of friendship with Jesper and Jamie as we had before.

As I trailed behind my parents, navigating the labyrinthine corridors of the hospital, my mind was consumed by thoughts of the friendship between Jamie, Jesper, and myself. Deep in contemplation, I whispered to myself, "This is not the end, I need to do something."

I quickly made my way to my bedroom as soon as we got home, desperately searching for my phone in my pockets and then in my bedroom. However, my search came to a halt when I noticed my mom entering the room.

"Are you looking for this?",My mother held my phone in her hand and asked.

"예, 엄마!" I jabbered.

"Sorry, Yeha, but unfortunately, we'll be keeping your phone for now. We believe it's best for you to have no contact with your friends, or should I say, 'ex-friends'." My mom Elucidated.

"엄마, this is definitely not fair" I Reproached.

"Are you teaching me, what's right and what's wrong?" My mom glared at me.

"엄마!, Can you please give me my phone back". I requested.

"아니요!" My mom disagreed and descended the stairs.

I just had to wait until tomorrow, to meet up with my friends specifically Jamie and Jesper. It was all about sorting things out and getting everything back to normal.

*Next Day*

Today, I decided to break away from my usual routine and rise with the sun. With a burst of energy, I swiftly went through my morning rituals and slipped into my school uniform. In a hurry, I dashed down the stairs, eager to devour a delicious breakfast.

"엄마! What's on the menu for breakfast today? I'm eagerly anticipating a delicious meal as my hunger is growing!" I requested some food, but unfortunately, I didn't receive any response. Determined to satisfy my hunger, I ventured into the kitchen, expecting to find my mom there as she usually is in the morning. However, to my surprise, she wasn't there. Curiosity led me to her bedroom, where I discovered her peacefully sleeping.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my mom sleeping peacefully at this time. It was completely out of character for her, as she's usually up and about, bustling around the kitchen, preparing breakfast for my dad and me before we head out for the day.

"엄마! 엄마! " I urgently called out to her, gently shaking her in an attempt to rouse her from her slumber. Despite my efforts, she remained unresponsive. Then, a mischievous idea sparked in my mind - I decided to play my mom's beloved dance music, hoping it would stir her awake. And to my astonishment, it worked like magic! She actually woke up, much to my delight.

"Yeha, why are you playing music that too so early in the morning?" My Mom queried.

That honestly was not something I expected my mom to say!

엄마", it's already 7:30am and you're aware that you need to whip up a delicious breakfast for me before I head off to school! And let's not forget about dad, he's got to fuel up too before he heads to the office." I reminded.

"Oops! I completely forgot to tell you that you won't be attending school today. The doctor advised you to take some rest and consume health supplements for a few days. So, it looks like you'll be missing school for an entire week! On another note, your dad decided to take a day off from work today." My Mom explained.

"무엇? The entire week! Are you serious?" I gawked at my Mom.

I felt utterly let down and at a loss for words, pondering what Jamie and Jesper must be thinking of me all week long. I was determined to resolve this predicament swiftly, but alas, it seems to be dragging on and on.

"Ugh!"

I flopped onto the bed and gazed up at the ceiling, fixating on the spinning ceiling fan. It brought back memories of the most ridiculous gift I ever gave Jesper during a festival - a plastic electric mini fan. Reflecting on it now, I can't help but wonder what possessed me to give him such a useless present. I'm sure he must have tossed it aside without a second thought.

"Hold on a second!" It just came rushing back to me. I recall Nam Seon Ho challenging me to present Jesper with the most pointless or cringe-worthy gift imaginable. This little escapade took place precisely three years ago, back when Jesper, Seon Ho, and Dohyun were inseparable buddies.

Seon Ho and Jesper were notorious for their playful banter, constantly teasing each other. However, beneath their teasing, there was a deep bond of care and affection. It baffles me why their friendship came to an end. They were inseparable as best friends, but now it seems that Jesper and Dohyun have formed a new bond, leaving Seon Ho on the outside.

I made numerous attempts to inquire from Jesper about the reason behind his and Seon Ho's broken friendship, but he consistently evaded my question with flimsy excuses. Moreover, ever since that incident, Seon Ho has transformed into a bona fide nerd. He used to be less focused on academics when he was still friends with Jesper and Dohyun, but now he seems perpetually engrossed in his books, with little interest in anything else.

Hold on! It just hit me that I've been pondering over the friendship predicament of three random friends, when I should actually be focusing on my own group of friends, which seems to be heading towards a dead end.

However, I must admit that I am currently at a loss for ideas on how to salvage our friendship. I am unable to reach out or provide any explanations to my friends, and unfortunately, my parents are unwilling to lend an ear or consider goddamn! my perspective.

"God, Help!" I begged.

At this juncture, my only option was to patiently await another week before meeting Jamie and Jesper to resolve our issues. I held onto the hope that things would return to normal. However, a sudden realization struck me - even if Jamie, Jesper, and I were to reconcile and become close friends once more, would my parents approve? It's evident that this situation is not progressing favorably in any conceivable manner.

I found myself in a state of utter frustration, wondering how on earth I could possibly unravel this perplexing puzzle. The stress was mounting, and I couldn't help but tug at my own hair in exasperation.

*Five days later*

As the clock struck 1:37am, I stirred from my slumber, plagued by an unquenchable thirst. Careful not to disturb my sleeping parents, I tiptoed down the stairs, craving a refreshing sip of water. However, my stealthy descent was abruptly interrupted by hushed whispers emanating from my parents' bedroom. Intrigued, I couldn't resist the temptation to eavesdrop on their late-night conversation. With bated breath, I inched closer, eager to uncover the secrets they shared in the stillness of the night. I heard-