Chapter 32 - Moon 18

Start from the beginning

Marblestar shrugged, turning to excuse Topazleaf. “What is it?”

“Do you know a cat named Violetfang?” Ivyshadow blurted out.

Marblestar’s expression darkened, “yes. All too well.”

“What did she do?” Ivyshadow asked desperately. Surely he would have told her sooner if it was something bad.

Marblestar hesitated before speaking, “She… she had some sort of plan with Boulderstar and Rockwhisker,” he gulped, looking uncomfortable, “I don't know the details.”

Ivyshadow could sense that he was lying, and pressed on. “What was the plan? What do you know?”

Marblestar looked away, “I told you I don't know the details.” His meow sounded slightly guilty.

Ivyshadow narrowed her eyes, “you have to tell me.”

“he doesn't have to tell you anything!” Topazleaf snapped. Apparently she'd stayed close enough to eavesdrop.

Ivyshadow resisted the urge to glare at the she-cat, instead keeping her eyes on the Falling Rock leader. “what was the plan?”

Marblestar straightened, as if Topazleaf’s words had reminded him that he was a clan leader. “All I know is that Violetfang wanted to be leader of Tall Trees, and would do anything to achieve it.” Marblestar’s meow sounded final, “were almost to the gathering, drop it.”

Ivyshadow was more bothered now than ever by Marblestar acting like he was her leader. “Violetfang is my sister,” she hissed, the ferocity surprising even herself, “she killed my mother, and attempted to kill me more times than I can count. I need to know.”

Even Topazleaf fell silent, and Marblestar's eyes widened. The small group of cats had reached the meetingplace now, and both Clans were gathered at the basin, waiting for them. “The plan was that she would lead Pebbleclaw to the border,” Marblestar whispered, “and Rockwhisker would kill him.”

Ivyshadow's paws froze. She watched Marblestar and Topazleaf begin to pad down the basin edge, and her eyes wandered above their heads, all the way to the base of the great rock. Pebbleclaw sat there, his expression relaxed, his striped black tail swaying from side to side. He had been speaking to his son, Birchtail, but the Medicine Cat had stepped back when he saw Topazleaf approaching. Pebbleclaw was a great deputy, and the only cat who stood as a calm balance to his fierce mate, Acornstar. Ivyshadow couldn't picture Acornstar without Pebbleclaw, and Pebbleclaw without Acornstar. I can't let Violetfang do this. It was time to stop hiding from Violetfang. It was time to get rid of her once and for all.

“Prey has been plenty in Swaying Grass,” Reedstar began, “we haven't had any snow for a couple of weeks, and the rabbits are starting to return. Moonswift has given birth to two healthy kits. We thank the Rising Stars for the continued health of our clan.” Reedstar gestured to Acornstar.

“Tall Trees has also felt the coming of New-leaf. We have two more warriors among us today, Morningcloud and Daybreeze.”

Ivyshadow turned to look, cheering their names loudly. She was sorry that she'd missed their ceremony. “Morningpaw is a warrior already?” Forestpaw asked in disbelief.

“Our queen, Snowfall, has given birth to three healthy kits as well. On top of that, we have a new apprentice with us today; Petalpaw.”

Ivyshadow turned in surprise - Runningmouse hadn't told her about Petalpaw. Speaking of her mate… Ivyshadow scanned the Tall Trees cats, and her eyes landed on his. He was staring straight at her, but blinked once their eyes met. Ivyshadow couldn't stop the smile from forming, thoughts of Violetfang temporarily gone.