The Twentieth Chapter

After The Sisters confine me to my temporary chamber for the evening, I carefully arrange my belongings and blankets beside the bed and set Sable down. With a sigh of exhaustion, I lower myself onto the mattress and take in a series of deep breaths. When I was a second-year student, I learned to possess a basic understanding of Astral Projection, hence why second years are students are referred to as Astrals.

Gradually, I regulate my breathing and immerse myself in a profound state of meditation, feeling the tangible presence of my soul. Recalling the rope trick taught in our classes, I envision my ethereal self ascending a mystical rope, emerging from my crown chakra, and venturing into the boundless expanse of the Astral Realm.

Once I am able to observe my physical body seated on the floor, I glide effortlessly through walls and closed doors, my presence concealed until I reach the dungeons and spot Silas perched on the edge of a bed.

"By the elements of Earth and Air, by the forces of Fire and Water, heed my summon and unveil my soul," I assert firmly, causing Silas to snap his gaze toward me.

"Already missing me, are ye?" He grins, rising to his feet and attempting to touch my hand, only to have his own pass through mine.

"You flatter yourself too much," I playfully tease, rolling my eyes theatrically.

"Fret not, mo chridhe agus m' anam. I shall not be in here for long," he winks at me.

"What does that mean?" I inquire curiously.

"My heart and soul in the language of Hellspirian," he responds, a tinge of melancholy in his blue eyes.

"You must miss your homeland a lot. What is it like? Hellspire sounds rather dark and scary," I confess, exhaling deeply.

"It is not so. It is a place of breathtaking beauty. The springs and summers are lush with vibrant greenery, and daylight never fully surrenders to the night. Half of the sky is adorned with the sun and clouds, while the other half showcases both moons and countless stars. I notice that you have only one moon here, and it is not particularly grand," he explains.

"It does sound enchanting," I reply, my voice filled with awe. I wish I could see a place like that one day.

He shrugs nonchalantly. "To me, it is simply ordinary. I have never given it much thought."

"Do you really believe your uncle has followed you here?" I ask, my tone filled with concern.

"Aye, without a doubt. This is his dark magic at work," he responds, his voice laced with a darkness I'm not used to hearing from him.

"The Sisters will handle him according to their best judgment," I reassure him, hoping to alleviate his worries.

"I sensed no great power within either of them. One possesses a slight healing ability, though feeble at best. What makes them so significant?" he questions, his gaze intense and penetrating.

"They claim their unique gift is immortality, but it is far from the truth. When I touch them, I see glimpses of their past, often bathing in the blood of newborn babies. That's how I think they maintain their youthful appearance," I explain, a hint of disgust evident in my voice. It's true The Sisters help a lot of witches but I never understood how they could do something so terrible.

"Interesting. In my realm, we possess no such magic for immortality. Everyone must age and eventually meet their end. It is an inherent law of nature," he reveals, his words tinged with a sense of acceptance but I can see he's thinking about it deeply.

"That's what everyone here believes too, but deep down, I know the truth. Besides you, only Juniper and Ethan are aware of my gift. I've never told them the vivid visions I get of The Sisters," I confess.

Silas tries to console me, saying, "There would be no point in telling them anyway. You can't change what's already happened."

I force a weak smile and reply, "Thank you, Silas. You're right. But it still sucks to see you locked up like this."

He reassures me, "Don't worry about me. I have enough to sustain myself – food, blankets, and a few books. I'll be out of here before you even realize it."

I can't help but express my longing, my voice trailing off as I admit, "I wish I could kiss you right now..."

A mischievous glint appears in Silas' eyes as he responds, "And I wish I could do much more than just kiss you."

His words, coupled with his enchanting blue eyes, make my heart race. "Soon," I promise him. With all the chaos unfolding at school, we haven't been intimate since Friday the Thirteenth, and my body craves him. This unfamiliar desire consumes me like never before.

As I gaze into Silas' eyes, a bittersweet realization settles within me. I summon all my strength to utter a goodbye, knowing it's time to go to bed.

"Goodbye, Silas," I whisper, my voice filled with longing.

He reaches out, his hand passing through the misty form of my astral projection. I feel a pang of sadness, unable to physically touch him.

I vanish into thin air, leaving the gloomy dungeon behind and reappearing in the new room. Sable, with a look of bewilderment, plops himself down on the bed beside me.

"Don't even think about judging me. We like Silas," I declare with a smirk, expertly fluffing the pillows and arranging the blankets like a bed-making champion.

"Oh, Ember and Silas, sitting in a tree... K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" He can't help but tease.

Rolling my eyes and turning off the lights, I retort, "Oh, shut up. Save your songs for a karaoke night. Now, go to bed and quit spying on the freshmen. It's getting creepy, even for you."