CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

FORTY-FIVE

MAIA

I huffed, panting and trying to catch my breath after my assault on the gym's kickboxing dummy which swayed in a left-right motion, before it finally became still and stood motionless. With a satisfied sigh, I took off my boxing gloves and let them fall freely to the ground while I massaged my wrists and fingers to make sure I'd not ended up injuring myself.

"Hi Maia," Zaynab's voice caught me off guard and I could've jumped if I didn't know any better. I turned to face the girl who was dressed in a black two-piece jilbab layered with a sky blue chiffon scarf underneath, which she allowed to fall freely around her neck and face over sky blue dunks. Sincerely, the girl's fashion sense wowed me a lot. I smiled at her, bending to pick up my gloves and towel, and stuff them into my gym bag.

"If you're here to scold me for yesterday, I'm uninterested." I admitted plainly, straightening my self to come face to face with the girl who looked amused at my words. She chuckled a bit, shaking her head.

"Isn't heat killing you?" I had to ask, referring to her outfit. I found it difficult to wear clothes with sleeves on a normal day, huge talk of what she was putting on-and in black for that matter.

"It's raining outside," she shrugged and I smiled at her typical Abuja accent. "Cats and dogs. Since noon."

Oh. I wondered how long I'd been in here, slamming all my emotions into the poor dummy, that I didn't realize it was raining. No wonder I had my complete privacy today. Usually, the trainers would stalk the entrance, "checking on me" every few minutes. I can't lie, it made me feel like a celebrity and I low-key enjoyed it.

"I'm assuming you brought an umbrella, then?" I asked and she nodded. I sensed she wanted to tell me something, and I wanted to get out of the gym so the fact that she was just looking at me with a small smile not only weirded me out, it annoyed me.

"About yesterday, eh," she started, making me sigh internally and wish I'd left the gym before she arrived. "I just thought it was nice of you to show everyone the kind of person Larisa is."

I did a double take in shock, wondering if I'd heard her correctly. Finally, someone got it. I turned to her beaming, happy that she was the one who understood that what I did wasn't wrong. Chimdindu had lectured me after the whole incident, and oh, was I bored. Marina hadn't even spoken to me since then, not like I cared anyway. He would come around, just like he always did. They just didn't get it. I did what needed to be done. The fake ass needed to be exposed.

And who am I not to do the Lord's work?

"Oh, Zaynab! Finally!" I exclaimed, taking hold of her shoulders and giving her a gentle shake. "You understand! You're the only person who understands that that girl deserves to be known for what she truly is—a horny idiot."

Zaynab laughed at my remark, while I bent to pick my things so we could leave the gym and maybe get lunch or something. Checking my phone, I realized the time was fifteen minutes after three. Lunch was served over two hours ago; they were probably done by now. I sighed as I straightened, thinking of what to do. The tuck shop would probably be closed because of the rain.

"How's Maina?" Zaynab asked, alerting me again of her presence in the room. I turned to look at her curiously, and she stared at me with that little smile she'd had on since she got here.