十六: kakashi and rin

On the evening of their date, Kakashi arrived at Rin's doorstep, a rare smile playing on his lips. Rin greeted him with a warmth, "Hey Kakashi."

"Evening, Rin," Kakashi replied. They headed to the tea shop, the air filled with a mix of nervous anticipation.

As they settled into a cozy corner of the tea shop, their conversation flowed effortlessly.

"So, Rin, any interesting missions lately? I hear you've been handling some pretty intense medical cases."

Rin chuckled, stirring her tea. "You know, the usual. Saving lives, mending wounds. But I can't complain; it's what I signed up for. What about you, Kakashi? Anything noteworthy in your world of stealth and shadows?"

Kakashi shrugged, his tone nonchalant. "Same old, same old. Disappearing in the mist, surprising enemies from behind. The usual ninja stuff."

Kakashi chuckled, a hint of nostalgia in his eye. "Remember the good old days with Team Minato? I miss the simplicity of those times."

Rin sighed, a wistful smile playing on her lips. "Yeah, me too. Obito's enthusiasm, Minato-sensei's guidance, and your... well, your mysterious charm, I guess."

Kakashi smirked beneath his mask. "Mysterious charm, huh? I'll take that as a compliment."

Kakashi found himself genuinely enjoying Rin's company, her laughter echoing through the air. The atmosphere gradually shifted from casual banter to a more intimate exchange.

Amidst the soothing aroma of tea, Rin looked into Kakashi's eye, her gaze filled with sincerity. "Kakashi, there's something I've been wanting to tell you for a long time."

"I've been harboring feelings for you—feelings that go beyond friendship. You are a shinobi with so much potential and I've always admire how you execute your missions. I started caring for you unconsciously, wondering if you ate well or slept well. That day I saw you hugging Akemi in the hospital and struck me how much I wished it was me in your arms. I've tried to hide it, but tonight, I can't keep it inside any longer. I care about you deeply, and I needed you to know."

Rin gave a soft smile, "I know you're someone who would rather die in a S-ranked mission than in a heartbreak. I know you through the thick and thin, from when you're most vulnerable until now. But I want to mend the heart of yours that I didn't broke. I want to understand you the way others couldn't and be your shoulder to cry on. I want to be someone that you wake up to in the morning and someone that you go home to after a tiring day. Even if my love is an unrequited one, please allow me to be by your side."

Kakashi's visible eye widened slightly, the realization sinking in. He paused for a moment, processing her words. "Rin, I appreciate your honesty. I have always admire how you can unite me and Obito back in the days. The times when you grab both of our hands while we quarrel, I felt welcomed and understood. I don't want to go to the conclusion too soon. Let's take things slow, okay? I want to understand these feelings better."

Rin nodded, a mix of relief and gratitude in her eyes. "Thank you, Kakashi. I understand. Let's take it at our own pace."

After leaving the tea shop, they decided to visit Obito's grave together. The moon cast a soft glow on the memorial stone, and a gentle breeze rustled the leaves of nearby trees. Standing side by side, Kakashi and Rin paid their respects to their fallen comrade.

In the quietude of the graveyard, Kakashi broke the silence. "Obito always had a way of complicating things, didn't he?"

Rin chuckled softly. "He did. But in the end, I think he would've wanted us to find happiness, even if it means taking a few detours."