Chapter 5: Ambush in the snake mountains

The eastern roads, called so because they were east of the city of Thebia, went through mountains, marshlands, flatlands to the eastern woodland tribes. These roads were built and maintained by several armies of the middle kingdoms of humans who constantly warred against each other as well as against the other races of the world. Along the path were several outposts and camps set-up to defend the travelers and costal villages against raids from the eastern borders. One such outpost was standing in the path of the southeastern warband of Holda. He was known for sacrificing his enemies in the altar of the gods of the east and drinking their blood to steal their souls.

Reports from the main camp said there was an attack on the queen's residence in the afternoon but this much was evident from the fire and smoke seen in the southeast. Holda's warband – 3000 strong - who had not moved all summer, was advancing. The reports said they were mostly undisciplined peasants but had at least 500 heavy crossbowmen along with at least 200 mercenary horse archers. They were seen behind the torches of the warband which had marched through the night. They were advancing.

Alketas the strong, the commanding captain of the third division's outpost, famed for his bearlike strength, was the first in Holda's path and tasked with stopping this army. He knew he couldn't take them head on with his meager force of 300 men but commander Strategus, from the main camp, had send 300 more men and a strategy.

Alketas knew time was of the essence. He called his 6 battalion commanders and issued orders henceforth:

"Our objective is to delay the enemy here and buy time for the villages along the coast. The third division is retreating towards Thebia and your families in those villages should do the same lest they be killed or taken slaves."

He continued,

"Battalion one, two and three will setup ambushes before the enemy reach the camp at snakemouth valley(1), and the new battalions four, five and six will prepare an ambush for the enemy here. The enemy is 2000 strong and mainly peasant huntsmen with a few battalions of cavalry and crossbowmen. They are coming from the swamp and will pass through snakemouth valley after sunset tonight. It's quarter moon so there might be some light but the trees and bushes will give you cover."

"Snakemouth valley road is such that their commanders at the front won't be able to see the men at the back. The enemy is marching day and night and will get there near midnight. You are to let the enemy van enter the valley and only attack once half of the enemies have passed through. The third battalion will hide in the southern side and start the attack with arrows, slings and stones. If the men at the front start turning back to deal with the third battalion, you will sound the bullhorn. The 1st and 2nd infantry battalion will charge from the sides of the road while the 3rd will let the enemy chase them into the swamp and disperse on boats into the river. The riders won't be able to chase them. The charge will either break the front and causes chaos there or they will hold the front and cause chaos in the middle of their formation. In either case, after half an hour, break contact and retreat to camp. Only destroy some of the path behind you and let them waste some men and time to repair it. Let the van believe they are chasing you and go past the camp. You will make a stand at Rodos hill where the men here will have built some fortifications. The enemy that will chase you won't attack right away. They will take over our camp and wait for their army to cross the swamp. I will defend here with 100 men and fall back to the northern forests. At dusk, past the last sunlight, when they prepare supper, I will circle back with the fourth light cavalry battalion and light up the camp with oiled hay we have prepared underneath the main structures. The smell of the swamp will disguise the smell of the oil and the rotting wood will make a lot of smoke. This will cause chaos for a day and give us time to collect our men. We will retreat back from Rodos hill(2) that night and retreat on full march back to Pei city in the west. From the northeast, there is an invasion from Jin and we are outnumbered here. We must delay the enemy here for two days at least to make sure the entire third division can retreat safely. Most of their army are woodsmen with little discipline and morale. We are warriors of the third division. We will break their spirit and show them the might of Athens! Any questions?"

The youngest of his commanders nervously asked, "Captain, we need to go to our families and tell them to go west!"

Alketas replied, "Messengers have already been sent to the villages. Remember, we are doing this to buy time for the third division but also for the villages along the coast."

All six of his subordinates replied, "Yes captain!"

"Then bring me the strong wine," he ordered.

Then Alketas and his commanders toasted to victory

Nike! (3)

Nike!

Nike!

The wine at least helped relieve the minds of the older ones who realized that most of the refugees, the families of the men, will only serve as roadblocks to delay Holda's army.

At daybreak the next day, Alketas, along with 50 men from the 3rd light cavalry were waiting on the battlements of the camp. The waves of tired and battered men from the front, who had fought all night, had nearly trickled off. The van of Holda's warband was nearly upon them. The order to put out cooking fires and prepare was given as Alketas watched the edge of the swamp.

---Preview of the Next Chapter---

How will a few hundred men face off against thousands - tactics of course! But the enemy's numbers seem insurmountable and victory seems out of reach. Will Alketas the strong stop the barbarians or will he perish? Find out on Chapter 6 of From Fire and Blood - The Athenian Outpost! 

----Notes----

1. Snakemouth Valley: A narrow valley in the swamps adjacent river Athena between the eastern woodlands and Athenian controlled territory

2. Rodos Hill: A small hill behind the Athenian Outpost guarding the entrance from the swamps

3. Nike: Athenian Warcry meaning Victory

-----------

Please follow, comment and vote if you like my writing :) . I appreciate it. Thank you muchly!