12- Under The Mistletoe

Beginne am Anfang

"I'm so sorry, it's for work, I'll be quick."

I stepped outside quickly and answered. "This is Mae Anderson."

"Mae, it's Quinn Davenport."

"Yes. how are you?"

"I'm good, thanks. I know you're out of the office until after the new year, and then I'm actually heading out of the country for a few weeks so I wanted to touch base with you."

Hudson walked outside quietly, wrapping a blanket around my shoulders. "I'm so glad you called me back. As I said on the phone, we are very interested in your book and I would love to sit down and talk more about it with you when you get back."

"I've heard amazing things about Whitlock and Knight publishing and would love to meet with you."

Happy dance.

Hudson smiled at me as I finished up my conversation, setting up a meeting for the middle of January.

After hanging up, he wrapped his arms around me. "Good job."

"Thank you. I'm going to silence my phone now. Joy had a date and good lord am I getting details."

"Oh boy."

"Yeah."

"Did you tell her you're with me?"

"Oh heavens no. She will never find out... are we telling people at work about this?"

"I wasn't planning on it, I just know you two are close."

"We are, but... I figured this would just stay between us?"

Plus, I'd never hear the end of it.

He nodded. I could tell more was on his mind but he dropped it when we went into the house.

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

After we ate dinner, we all settled in the living room together. I was snuggled into Hudson as Mary handed out the gift to the kids and Eve handed to the adults.

Everyone went around opening gifts. Mark and Mary got me a cute Christmas winter flower arrangement that I planned on putting in my windowsill at home.

Hudson leaned over and whispered as he handed me a silver box with a red bow tied around it. "You have one more gift."

I looked at him puzzled. "Is this from you?"

"Yes. That phone call I made after our dinner the other night was about this. I picked it up this morning."

"Hudson, we already did our gifts though?"

The arm that was wrapped around my back, gently squeezed my side. "Mae, I wanted to."

This was too much.

I untied the bow and lifted the top off the box. Inside was a beautiful snowflake necklace, along with matching earrings.

 Inside was a beautiful snowflake necklace, along with matching earrings