5- First stop, Wisconsin

The flight from New York to Chicago went rather quickly

The flight from New York to Chicago went rather quickly. We sat side by side quietly for those two and a half hours and were now settled into the rental car in Chicago, heading towards Wisconsin.

We still had a few hours ahead of us and my nerves were getting the better of me the closer we got to my parents house and I was starting to second guess this whole idea as I looked down, waiting for a response back from my mom about what time we would be arriving.

"Mae, what are you thinking so hard about over there?"

"Lots!" I rubbed the palms of my hands nervously on my legs. "We should probably come up with a story so we're on the same page about everything."

He nodded. "I was thinking the same thing."

"What should we tell everybody? I think we should stick to the timeline of our actual boss slash employee relationship because my parents know who you are and what you look like so we can't lie about that."

"Alright. How about it's not a new relationship but long enough to know we really like one another to bring each other home for Christmas?"

I nodded, agreeing.

"Three months ago when we went to the book signing for 'The Falling' that we published. We went and had drinks after, I know we really went out with our team but let's tell them we went alone, finding out we had a lot in common, it went on from there and we started dating."

"Yes, that sounds believable."

"Then why do you sound unsure?"

I turned towards him. "Is this a horrible idea, Hudson. My parents didn't want me moving to New York in the first place. I have worked so dang hard to get to where I am today and I was hoping at some point in my life I'd be an editor and chief." He looked over at me quickly before bringing his eyes back to the road. "When I tell my parents I'm dating my boss I don't want them to think I slept with you to get to where I am today. You know?"

He was quiet for a moment before he answered. "Well then I'll make sure they know how incredibly smart, amazing and hard working you are, which I'm sure they already know. Mae, you're one of the best Junior Editors I have and the only assistant I could stand that's ever worked for me, that's one reason why I wouldn't let you go. You have a great work ethic and I can see how much you love what you do. I'll make sure they know all of that and if that's not good enough, I'll tell them more."

His words made my heart flutter and a smile appeared on my face as I studied him. He placed his hand on top of mine. "If you really don't want to do this I'll drop you off at your parents and then head back to Chicago, forgetting this whole situation."

I squeezed his hand. "No. I wouldn't back out on you. Thank you for saying that though."

"I'm only speaking the truth. Mae, are you serious about being an Editor and Chief?"