Chapter Twenty Two

"You're mad, the pair of you."

"Possibly."

Mary brushed down the front of Evelyn's white tea dress, checking the satin material of her bodice, the material of her narrow straps, then giving one final glance over the pins in her hair. They had tried to disguise the bruise as best as possible with concealer, and clipped a curl conveniently forward to cover the stitches in her hairline.

Mary adjusted the necklace to sit more centre on her friends chest, making the most of the square neckline of her dress to show off her collarbones. "You look amazing."

"Thanks. Not too bad for a rushed job."

"Not bad at all," Mary grinned, squeezing her friend's arm fondly. "But are we really sticking with the trainers?"

"They're white and they're new. What more do you want from me?"

"Could have borrowed a pair of my heels is all. Or, I dunno, worn the Louboutin pair you won't use but also won't share."

"Move on, Mary. You're not having them, they were a gift." Evelyn frowned. "I don't like heels. Why should my feet suffer? Besides, Sherlock likes our height difference, turns him on. The last thing I want is to avoid that." She wiggled her eyebrows.

Mary broke out into a laugh then.

There was a knock on the door and John Watson poked his head around. "Only me," he stepped over, shaking his head. "You look lovely, Eve. Sherlock won't know what hit him."

Evelyn felt the tips of her ears heat up. "How is he?"

"He's fine, don't worry, bit nervous but don't tell him I told you that," he rummaged in his pocket. "I came by to give you this."

John dropped the small soft pouch in her palm. She pulled the drawstrings open and tipped out the contents. A platinum band dropped out, cool against her skin. She smiled. "He got one."

"He was always going to wear one, Eve. Always."

Evelyn watched John for a moment, a small frown on her features. "He had this already, didn't he?"

John was grinning. "You know him. Cocky git."

"Cocky, but usually right," she bit into her bottom lip, bouncing on her feet. "We're actually doing this."

"Everyone's here. The room might look a bit empty but it's everyone you wanted. Both Mrs Hudson and Mrs Holmes have cried already, Siger has lost both his original and spare handkerchiefs, Greg is trying his best to not film the entire thing," Eve barked a laugh, shaking her head. "And Mycroft is ready when you are." John gestured to his wife. "Hand Mary his majesty's ring and I'll go in and let them all know you're on your way."

She did as instructed, watching Mary slip the pouch into her bag. There was a look passed between husband and wife that didn't go unnoticed by Eve, watching John pat his breast pocket.

"Ready?"

"Yeah, go. Go, before Sherlock thinks I've legged it."

"Right, see you on the other side." John rushed out the room then, leaving the two women alone once more.

Mary smiled. "Alright?"

"Yeah," Eve waved a hand in front of her face. "Didn't think I'd be so emotional."

"Well don't be! You'll ruin your make up! I know there's not much of it but I still put effort into it." Mary handed over the bouquet Greg had stolen from the evidence locker at work. Was just for prints, perfectly safe, he'd been quick to clarify.

It's Not RealOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara