Chapter Five

"Mary?"

At the sound of her name being called, Mary Watson spun on her heel, eyes frantic and out of breath she jogged over to Evelyn. "Where's Sherlock?"

Eve frowned. "I don't know, I've not seen him in a while, I thought–"

"You need to look on the system for me, now. He's here. I've been trying to get the room number from John but he keeps forgetting to reply." Mary was practically dragging Eve by her scrubs to the reception desk. "Sherlock Holmes. What room?"

The receptionist looked confused. "Are you a relative–"

"It's fine," Eve said quickly. "She's with me. I need to know what room."

"I thought you'd finished for the night–"

"For gods sake, Jamie!" Evelyn wasn't sure why she suddenly felt this rush of panic and could hear her heart pounding in her ears, but all she knew was she needed the damn room number. "Please."

Jamie immediately started clacking the keys on the computer. "Intensive care, ward four, room sixty two."

She was gone, running to the escalator ahead of them.

Eve turned to Mary as she followed behind her. "What happened?"

"He was shot."

For some reason Evelyn halted, struggling to catch her breath. She felt as if the wind had been knocked from her. When Mary noticed, she twisted to observe her friend, stopping a few paces ahead. Eve was struggling to make eye contact with Mary at all.

"Are you..."

"I'm fine. It's– It's fine," Eve shook her head. "Just a shock. I think."

Mary narrowed her eyes. "Sure. Just a shock," she stepped closer, touching her friend's arm. "He's alive, you know?"

"Yeah, of course. Don't know why I'm..."

"Worried? Scared?" Evelyn looked like a deer in headlights. "Come on. It'll help to see him breathing."

Once they reached Sherlock's room and greeted John, he had opened the door while continuing to explain what had got them into this situation. "No idea what happened after that, Magnussen was questioned but Sherlock hasn't woken up yet so can't get anything from him."

Evelyn felt herself freeze in the doorway. He looked awful, wires surrounding his body, monitor beeping continuously next to the bed. She watched his chest rising and falling, counting the breaths as she did. "I'll– I'll leave you with John now, Mary."

Mary frowned. "You could stay a bit–"

"I should go, my shift finished half an hour ago and– and I've seen Sherlock is still breathing so..." She trailed off, Mary watching her carefully.

"Evie..." Mary stopped herself saying anything more when Eve's eyes were begging for it to be left alone. "I'll keep you updated on how he is."

"Yeah, please, just... uhm–" she shook her head. "Thanks."

As the door wheezed shut behind her, trying to force the tears back, she could hear John mumbling to Mary. "Is she alright?"

———

"Oh. It's you."

"Hi. Can I come in–"

"Yeah. Yes." Sherlock began to fidget, trying to sit himself more upright, but the strain on his face showed how much pain he's still in.