Chapter Nine

Evelyn rolled her eyes when she heard the lock of her front door click. Sherlock never was one for boundaries, but breaking and entering her home was becoming a bit of a tedious habit. The other day she thought about just giving him a key, at least that way there would be less potential of him damaging the front door.

"I need a favour."

Maybe she should put a bell on him as well while she thought about it.

"Do come in, Sherlock, of course I'm happy to see you, anything I can help you with?"

"Yes. I just said, I need a favour."

"I was being sarcastic."

"Really? Well, I still need a favour. Will you help?"

"I don't even know what you want."

"I need you to be my girlfriend."

Eve dropped her mug, Sherlock catching it before it hit the ground and settling it back on the kitchen side. Thankfully it only contained a dry teabag. She gawped at him. "What?"

"It's my father's seventieth birthday this weekend and my parents are throwing a bit of a thing, I'm being forced to go because I skipped the last event my mother hosted. It's basically just an excuse for my mother to get us all in one place. She'll probably insist on an over the top luncheon in the garden, but people I barely tolerate will be there and I cannot survive going alone." Sherlock waved his hand in front of her face. "Are you alright?"

She slapped the hand away. "What does this have to do with me being your girlfriend?"

"My mother is insistent on trying to match make me with some snobby daughter of a neighbour, and the only way I can get her off my back is if you come with me. Say we're together." Sherlock was very nonchalant about all this. He seemed to think this was an obvious solution.

Eve frowned. "I'm not your girlfriend though, you'll be lying to your parents."

"Nothing I haven't done before."

"You're ridiculous," she scoffed. "What about the next time something like this comes up? Can't use me forever."

"Why not?" Sherlock huffed. "It's the perfect cover. We know each other well, I enjoy your company, throw in a bit of hand holding and a kiss or two and we're golden. My mother won't say a thing."

"I'm not snogging you, Sherlock. Besides, what if I actually meet someone down the line? I'm not staying single forever to be your fake plus one." Sherlock blinked several times at that. "I'll end up looking like I dumped you and your mum will hate me."

He clenched his jaw and waved a dismissive hand. "We'll worry about that when it comes to it."

She scooted around him, heading to sit on the sofa and put some space between them. "Why me?"

"I just told you," Sherlock immediately follows behind, sitting down next to her, knees touching. So much for space. "We get on well, I enjoy being around you."

Eve decided not to think too much about that statement right now. "Why not ask Janine again?"

"Ah." He shook his head. "My mother can't stand her. After everything was put in the papers I had to do damage control and explain to her I am in fact not a sex maniac. Wasn't the most comfortable conversation we've ever had."