BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Even though Terry had a unique upbringing, what qualities does she have that make her a relatable character?

2. At a point in the novel, Terry makes the comment, "Everyone has their own limp, but some are more obvious than others." What did she mean by that?

3. Maude and Terry support each other throughout the novel. What strengths/qualities does Maude have that Terry lacks and vice versa?

4. A ficelle is a character who adds extra information for the reader, helping the author avoid information dumps. They have the same motives as the protagonist, but don't have the same obstacles. In Asp of Ascension, which character do you think is the ficelle?

5. What qualities does Cleopatra embody that Terry finds the most inspirational? Why?

6. Who do you think is the real villain in this story? Why?

7. Bullying is a central theme in the novel. Does Allison show any redeeming qualities by the end of the story?

8. At the beginning of the novel, Terry makes it a point to stay under the radar and not get involved. How does this change by the end?

9. Several characters had their own motives for getting the power of the asp. Which character had the most to gain/lose?

10. Which character changed the most throughout the course of the story? What actions or decisions triggered that change?