Chapter Twenty-Two

The ICU nurse spoke with Terry as she stood by her father's bedside. The middle-aged woman with the neatly trimmed bob told her the same things Prince Kamal had described in the limo ride to the hospital.

"He's stable," she said. "The blood tests are still being carefully analyzed." Terry wiped away a tear. Her father looked so pale. She squeezed his hand, but his fingers were flaccid in her grip. "Diagnosis is a process of elimination," the nurse continued. "The doctors start with a long list of every possibility, then they begin to cross them off one by one."

She smiled thoughtfully at Terry. "Once it's narrowed down, a clear care plan can be drawn up. We're doing our best to get him out of this, don't worry."

A get well card decorated with flowers was standing on the hospital bedside table. "That's from one of his co-workers," the nurse explained to Terry. "She was here all morning. She left her number in case there was any change."

"Long hair and high heels?" Terry asked. She picked up the card and read the sentimental verse. It was signed, All My Love, Sarah, in exaggerated loopy swirls. A small ball of heat began at the base of Terry's spine. Sarah was here holding her dad's hand all day while she was forced to go to school.

Gunther Hughes' chest rose and fell. It was the only part of him that was moving. Even his eyelids didn't flutter. Terry thought she'd feel better after seeing him, but it only confirmed her dad was totally helpless.

Dr. Mullaca's words about the missing asp rested heavily on her conscience. She'd hardly done any research, too busy sneaking around the

library with Zach and trying to avoid potential paralysis from the wrath of Allison and her consorts.

Terry gave the nurse her cell phone number to add to his file. "I'm his only family," she stressed. She left her father's bedside and found Maude and Prince Kamal on a bench by the elevator leaning over a pile of papers. They both looked up when she approached.

"How is he?" Maude asked brightly. Her smile faded when she read Terry's expression.

"The nurses are turning him every two hours so he doesn't get bedsores," Terry answered sombrely.

"He's getting excellent attention while they wait for all the test results," Prince Kamal said.

"But they still have no answers!" Terry stabbed the elevator button. "I feel so useless just standing by his bed, holding his hand. I have to do something."

Maude gathered up the papers and clutched them to her chest. "I'm sure he knows you were there."

The elevator door slid open. "I have to find that stupid asp," Terry announced. "As much as I hate the idea of agreeing with Dr. Mullaca, it's the only thing I've got to go on." She folded her arms and waited for Prince Kamal to voice his concern. Instead he and Maude exchanged a glance that made Terry suspicious. "What is it?" she asked.

"We've been going over the documents from Fraser," Maude began. The elevator stopped and several staff stepped inside. Maude looked at Prince Kamal.

He gave a slight shake of the head. "We can discuss this further in my car," he said.

The trio remained silent until they slipped into the limo. Maude and Terry sat with each other, while Prince Kamal took the seat across from them. They pulled away from the front entrance of the hospital. Terry's good knee started to shake. It was disconcerting for Maude to be so quiet.

Prince Kamal leaned forward in his seat, his elbows rested on the knees of his designer jeans. "The asp was heavily guarded," he started. "It would have been impossible to steal."