Chapter Forty-One

Terry stood behind Prince Kamal. There were a few beeps followed by a clunk as the door unlocked. She wasn't sure what the plan was at this point. Her main objective since this whole mess began was to fit the asp into the special grooves of the coffin. With Prince Kamal by her side, whatever came next, he would be a part of the consequences.

Terry had to tell him the truth. "Remember how Dr. Mullaca said the missing asp was the only thing that could open the case?" she began tentatively.

"Yes, of course," he said, frowning in the dimness. His hand smoothed along the wall, looking for the light switch.

"I have a confession." Terry's hands were clasped in front of her as if in a desperate prayer.

With a click the room was suddenly a blinding white. Terry squinted as her eyes adjusted. One look at the empty room made her want to collapse into a crying heap. "Where is it?" She panicked.

"I don't understand," Prince Kamal said. He glanced around, as if a huge, elaborate coffin could be hiding in the corner or misplaced behind a shelf of cleaning utensils.

Hurried footsteps echoed down the hallway. Sarah appeared in the doorway, out of breath. Instead of her usual fitted outfits, she wore jeans and a sweatshirt. "I was told you came down. I'm assuming you're looking for the mummy case?"

Both Terry and Prince Kamal nodded eagerly. Sarah smiled tiredly and patted back a strand of hair that had come out of its ponytail. A smudge of mascara was under her right eye. "It's already on display in the Egypt room."

Terry's jaw dropped open. She felt numb all over. "It's been opened?"

"No, of course not." Sarah's patronizing tone pierced the air. "But the exhibit is still quite impressive." She held up a ring of keys and gave Prince Kamal a nod. "It's closed until tomorrow night, but I can let you in."

"Ms. Hughes and I would be forever in your debt," he said.

Terry's gazed flitted back and forth between them. The formal politeness didn't make sense; both of them had been arguing about Mayor Harris only a few days ago.

They took the elevator to the fifth floor and made their way to the rom. "The unveiling will be a special dress-up party," Sarah said, her gaze falling on Terry. "You know, like a costume ball."

Prince Kamal gave Terry a half grin. "And what disguise will you be wearing?"

"I'm invited?" A party was the last thing on Terry's schedule.

Sarah made an attempt to smooth out her sweatshirt. "How about an Egyptian serving girl?" she suggested to Terry. "I need more volunteers to help with the cocktail reception."

"Have you asked Ms. Bernard yet?" Terry couldn't keep the edge from her voice. Like Zach, she'd begun to believe everyone was lying to her.

The trio came to the Egypt room. Sarah went through first and began turning on the display lights.

The creepy mummy case with the hollowed-out eyes seemed to be staring across the room at the Cleopatra mannequin. Terry felt for the asp, the hard coils under her shirt comforting.

Sarah flicked on a few more switches, spotlighting the new exhibits. On the raised platform in the middle of the room, the coffin was encased in a long glass box. Terry walked up to the red velvet rope that encircled it, the urge to get closer overwhelming.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Sarah stated. "Mayor Harris will be hosting the party tomorrow night. For all the anxiety he's created, it was completely worth it."

Terry questioned Sarah's lack of tact.

"It's so wonderful the museum has this piece." Her voice became dreamy, almost trancelike. It was a sharp contrast to Terry's building anxiety. "With the dignitaries and socialites coming, the fundraiser will make the world of difference for us. It will be everything I've hoped for— everything I deserve."