Chapter Nineteen

Terry squinted at the computer screen and read, "The police have no leads and are at a loss as to how the piece disappeared into thin air. This bizarre incident coupled with the recent missing person case has fuelled rumours of The Sacred Asp's legendary curse." She leaned back in the plastic library chair and rubbed her red eyes.

Maude snapped her bubbled gum. "Seriously?" She sounded agitated. "What the heck's the point of having the Internet if all it spits back is stuff that was in the paper fifty years ago?"

Terry yawned behind her hand. After Dr. Mullaca's frantic call about the asp, she spent most of her first night in the Plaza going over every newspaper article Fraser had given her about the burglary at the museum. Finally, at four in the morning, she fell asleep on the plush rug in the sitting area, surrounded by photocopies.

"Maybe Fraser's holding out on us," Maude suggested. "I still have to give him the article on the game last night." She offered a hopeful smile. "I mean, he's a reporter...sort of. I bet he can think of another angle we haven't tried."

Terry leaned forward and put her head in her hands. "I have no idea what I'm doing," she said helplessly. "My dad is in some kind of coma, and a crazy old bat wants me to solve a fifty-year-old burglary to cure him."

Maude put a hand on her shoulder. "He's going to be okay. Maybe that crazy old bat is just trying to distract you, like take your mind off worrying about your dad?"1 0 7 A S P O F A S C E N S ION 1 0 7

"Plus, she thinks Prince Kamal is some kind of dangerous stud. It's ridiculous to think he'd be interested in me."

"I bet she's jealous he's not putting her up at the Plaza."

Terry grunted.

"Why don't we call the hospital?" Maude suggested. "Your dad could have improved overnight."

Terry kept her head down. "Prince Kamal called the ICU this morning. He texted me that Dad's condition hasn't changed, but he said Dr. Jacquard took that as a good sign since he isn't getting any worse."

"See? That's good news." Maude gave her a few pats on the back. Her voice took on a dreamy quality. "I liked Prince Kamal as soon as I saw him." She leaned across Terry and typed in a few words. Within seconds several celebrity tabloid sites appeared. Maude began clicking on images. She let out a frustrated sigh. Most of the pictures had been shot through a telephoto lens, and in every shot Prince Kamal wore his head scarf, robe and sunglasses.

Maude scrunched up her nose. "These pictures must be a few years old. He's totally gotten rid of that fat gut. He must have gotten a trainer." Terry gave her a sideways look. "What?" Maude said. "He's matured nicely into a hot dude, that's all I'm saying. Besides," she began to count on her fingers, "he's making sure your dad is getting excellent care at the hospital, and you're his private guest at the swankiest place in the city, which includes gourmet meals from room service and a limo ride to school."

"We picked you up on the way too," Terry interjected.

Maude smirked and gave Terry's ponytail a playful tug. "All he needs is to take you shopping, and it's just like Pretty Woman."

"What's that?"

"A movie about a prostitute who becomes this rich guy's private escort. They end up falling in love." Maude's voice trailed off. "It sounds bad when I describe it like that, but it's really romantic. Don't freak. I'm hardly suggesting that you and Prince Kamal are going to—"

"Please. He's totally not my type."

Maude nudged her shoulder. "Oh really? What is your type, then, Nefertari? A Roman soldier?" she teased. "Someone with their own army?"