Chapter Sixteen

"It's kind of small," Maude said. She paused outside her bedroom door. 

After the library episode, Terry had gone to the tiny newspaper office, hoping Tanya might have been there to let her seek refuge, but it was locked. Maude had found her sitting in the hallway, hiding behind a textbook. She gently reminded her of the supper invitation at her house before the basketball game. The only mention of the library was a mumbled "Sorry" on Maude's part. Terry had shrugged, unsure what Maude would have to be sorry about.

The cloud of awkwardness had followed them from school, lurked under the bus seats and swirled around Terry's ankles as she limped up the stairs to the apartment over Maudern Style.

Now they stood at the end of a tiny hallway lined with pictures of Maude at various ages. Terry could name every milestone from the photographs: first steps, first bike, first day of school. In one particular shot an elementary-aged Maude held a huge trophy.

"Nerd alert," Maude laughed. "It was for a cryptoquote contest. I'm kind of good at codes and stuff." She played with the bottom of her pink T-shirt. "It's useless, of course, but the trophy was cool."

Terry was fascinated. She watched Maude's grandmother age from one frame to the next. The tiny woman's smile and sense of style remained consistent even as her hair started to grey.

"Grandma calls us Charlie's Angels." She blushed and her voice grew timid again. "It's always been just me, Mom and Grandma."

Terry nodded. They shared weak smiles. It had been that kind of day.

"Okay." Maude took a deep breath and opened the door. Terry had a vague reminiscence of Dr. Mullaca unveiling the sarcophagus. "It's not much," she said, carefully watching Terry's reaction, "but it's home."

Terry's eyes grew wide, trying to take in all the details. To the left of the door was a vanity covered in bowls of sparkly eye shadow and tiny bottles of nail polish. A poster of Willy Wonka dominated one wall. Pink feather boas stretched over the curtain rod, and an old dressmaker's mannequin stood in the corner, sporting layers of necklaces with several hats towered upon its neck.

"Wow," Terry said. She felt like she'd been dropped into one of those I Spy picture books.

Maude let out a nervous giggle then plopped on her twin bed. It was arranged at an angle from the corner, covered in a pink satin duvet and adorned with numerous pillows.

Terry heard a sickening clank. She gripped her knee, biting the inside of her cheek. 

Maude clambered to her side. "Did you break something?"

"Yeah." Terry grimaced. "My brace."

"Should I call 911?"

"No." Terry lowered herself to the floor and sat against the bed. She stayed still until the throbbing subsided. She carefully felt through her sweatpants. The outer joint had separated. "I think the screw popped out."

Maude's face relaxed at Terry's matter-of-fact tone. "Does that happen often?" she asked.

"Only when a massive fox throws me around the room." Terry's fingers worked over the material of her pants, trying to assess the damage. She was careful not to expose any skin. "Oh." Maude's voice went small again. 

"Sorry."

"Why? It's not your fault."

"Yeah, it is."

Terry's hands stilled. "Are you telling me it was your idea for the mascot to pick me out of the crowd?"

"No, but I know who did." Maude became interested in picking at the pink shag carpet. "I should have stopped her. But ever since you came Allison's been..." She paused, then let it spill out. "She's been leaving me alone."