Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Nefertari, you have to eat." Prince Kamal motioned to her breakfast plate. "You need your strength."

They were eating in the hotel's terrarium restaurant on the ground floor. The greenery of the restaurant was a stark contrast with the frozen, barren landscape outside. Late February in Devonshire was like one long, cloudy day interspersed with wind and rain.

Terry speared a sausage with her fork. Her waffle and fresh fruit remained untouched. "I can't," she said, dropping the fork and pushing the food away. She hadn't shared her theory about the asp being in the Egypt room. He'd just say that her father's condition was of a medical nature and therefore best dealt with the hospital staff—not an ancient artifact. Plus, she was a bit hesitant since Kamal and Sarah were closer than she realized. She wondered if this was his overprotective nature manifesting itself; he always seemed to be rescuing her. "I'm scared for my dad," she admitted. "And for Dr. Mullaca. What does this all mean?"

Prince Kamal dabbed the corner of his mouth with his napkin. "I completely understand, but I want you to concentrate on being hopeful. They're getting the same excellent care. And your father won't want to recover and find out you're malnourished, will he?"

Despite being surrounded by large potted ferns and fragrant blooms, Terry felt a chill. She let out a shaking breath. "But my dad isn't getting any better."

He gave her an encouraging smile. "I spoke with the hospital this morning. Dr. Mullaca is still unconscious, but they are optimistic they'll make a breakthrough soon. Please don't worry. Everything will fall into place in the end, I promise."

He said this with such conviction that it gave Terry a little boost. She made herself take a bite of waffle, knowing she needed every bit of strength for today.

Prince Kamal took a sip of orange juice, watching her over the top of his glass. "I was speaking with Mayor Harris."

"Is he reconsidering postponing the party?" Terry asked. She wondered if Sarah had told him about Terry's eavesdropping. Either way, Mayor Harris was hardly her top priority.

"No." His word cut through the air. Clearly Prince Kamal and the mayor were not friends. "He insisted the unveiling will be the museum's biggest fundraiser of the year. It's imperative for the museum to stay operating." Then Prince Kamal grumbled, "It's also imperative it happen before the election."

Terry remembered the sectioned-off areas that weren't on display the first time she toured the building with her dad. Rescuing the museum from bankruptcy would certainly be favourable in the minds of Devonshire's voters.

"The coffin will be on display," he continued, his voice becoming uncharacteristically despondent. "Opened or closed, it makes no difference to him."

Terry visualized taking the asp and fitting it into the grooves of the case. It will all be fixed today. She sat a little straighter and gave him a smile. "Don't worry," she told the prince, stealing his line, "everything will fall into place in the end."

Terry spent the rest of the meal concentrating on the image of getting the asp and opening the case. She also embellished her appearance. In her mind, her eyes were lined in kohl and her frumpy hoodie and cargo pants had been traded for skinny jeans and high boots. She would be strong. She would be beautiful. She would have her dad back...and she'd have Zach.

Right after breakfast she called Zach, suggesting they keep their relationship quiet for now. There was no need to mention the obvious fact that his ex-girlfriend and her bloodthirsty princesses would make her existence at school hellish.

"What if I want to hold your hand?" he'd teased.

"If you pretend to trip, I'll reach for you."

"You have a hero complex."