Chapter Thirty-Five

"What do you think, Daphne?" Fraser turned off the ignition and wiggled his eyebrows at Maude.

The three friends stared out the windshield at the Victorian mansion. Ivy dusted with snow crawled up the sides, softening the corners. From the street it looked like an estate, but up close the fire escapes and wheelchair ramps were more obvious.

"It certainly looks like a place a former homecoming queen would live out her old age," Maude said.

"Except she's not that old," Terry said. "She's only in her late sixties."

"Same as my grandma," Maude said quietly.

They furtively made their way up the impressive stairs, careful to avoid the icy patches. A brown paper bag was tucked under Fraser's arm. He held open the massive oak door for the girls. "Okay, let me do all the talking," he told them.

"Sure thing, Fred." Maude rolled her eyes.

The foyer was grandly decorated with tall ferns and expensive rugs, but the smell of disinfectant and medicine lingered—as beautiful as this building was, it was still a hospital. A woman with a smart-looking bun and glasses looked up as they approached the nurses' station. Fraser put on his best smile. There was a rustle of paper as he pulled out a box of chocolates. From the impressed expression on Maude's face Terry guessed they were high quality.

"I hope you can help me," he began, his voice full of innocence. "I'm visiting the city, and my aunt wanted me to make sure I saw an old school friend of hers. I'm sure she won't know who I am, but I do have a little something for her." He gave a pained smile and held up the expensive chocolates.

The nurse tilted her head. "That's so thoughtful. What's the name of your aunt's friend?"

Fraser checked his pocket and pulled out a crumpled note. "Hold on, I've got it written down." He pretended to read the blank piece of paper. "Amy Sue Veinot."

The nurse's smile fell. "Are you sure?"

"Maybe I mispronounced the last name?" He laughed.

Maude and Terry shared a glance. The nurse craned her neck around Fraser, studying them.

"My friends and I drove all night," he explained. "We're in Devonshire for college interviews." Maude and Terry smiled widely and nodded. Fraser angled closer to the nurse. "I'm pre-med, and she's kinesiology, but my other friend," he waved a hand at Maude, "she's going for plumber's apprentice."

Maude shrank under the nurse's gaze. "I'm super handy," she added quickly. The nurse narrowed her eyes. "I'll see that Ms. Veinot gets the chocolates. What's the name of your aunt, again?"

"Trina Baker," he answered. "Well, Baker is her married name, I guess you should tell Miss Veinot the chocolates are from her good friend, Trina Colby."

The nurse made a note and took the box from Fraser.

He backed away, then stopped. "Oh geez, I almost forgot. Here," he said, pulling out a larger box of chocolates from the paper bag. "My aunt is a retired nurse, and she made sure that I bring something for the staff as well."

"My goodness, thank you." The nurse stood up and took the sweets. She gave Fraser a second scan.

He nodded shyly. "Please make sure to tell her that my aunt still laughs about the time they let the frogs escape from bio lab. She also wanted me to pass along that Bud Wilson turned out to be gay after all."

Fraser paused, then patted his pockets. He pulled out another sheet of paper and began to read. "And tell her that Shirley Buchannon married a plastic surgeon and finally got her nose fixed, and Craig Jackson confessed to putting the dog—"

"I have an idea," the nurse interrupted. She smoothed a hand over her already perfectly tight bun. She returned the smaller box of chocolates to Fraser. "Go ahead and tell her yourself. Only five minutes," she warned. "Ms. Veinot gets agitated easily."

"Thank you," Fraser said. "I promise, just a quick hello."

After getting the room number from the nurse, they took the grand wooden staircase up to the first floor. Terry fought the urge to run up the steps. Once they turned the corner and entered a quiet area, Maude hauled off and punched Fraser.

He rubbed his shoulder, looking shocked. "That's a weird way to say thank you."

"A plumber's apprentice?" she hissed. "Why can't I go to college? Is that because you think I'm not smart enough?"

Fraser stopped so quickly, Terry almost ran into the back of him. Maude placed her hands on her hips, ready for a showdown. "That just popped in my head," he said. "Your grandma pulled out her toolbox the other night, I guess that image stuck in my brain. And in case you didn't notice it, I was busy tap-dancing naked in front of that nurse to get us up here."

"You said you'd do all the talking," Maude reminded him. "I assumed you had a plan, instead of randomly pulling stupid crap out of your butt."

"It's always about the butt with you plumbers, isn't it?"

Maude snatched the box of chocolates out of his hands. "You're not worthy to carry these."

Terry tried to hush them.

The trio walked to the end of the hallway, then turned the final corner. "Seriously, though," Fraser whispered to Maude. "Do you have any idea how much plumbers make an hour? Especially on a holiday?"

"I wish you'd be quiet," Maude answered.

"Is this the part where you threaten to give me something to suck on to keep me quiet?" Fraser was straight-faced, but the smallest hint of tease curled his words at the end into a smile.

"Stop," Terry whispered harshly. She pointed to a nameplate across the way. A plaque with Amy Sue's full name in fancy cursive confirmed they found the right room. All the built-up tension between Maude and Fraser dissipated, a new sense of foreboding taking its place.

"What's the plan now?" Terry asked. It had been all too easy to say they'd question Amy Sue when they were sitting in the little room in the library, but now they were about to meet her face-to-face. Questioning her about a fifty-year-old case now seemed ridiculous.

"I'm going to ask her about June," Fraser said. He removed his glasses and cleaned them off on his shirttail. He lightly knocked on the door, and they all walked inside.

It was like stepping into a teenage girl's room. Everything was pink and sparkly. There was more makeup than on Maude's vanity. The bed was lined with stuffed teddy bears, and there was a black and white poster of some heartthrob in a suit and tie singing into a microphone. Terry squinted at the poster and saw the name Paul Anka along the bottom.

Fraser cleared his throat "Miss Veinot?"

A delicate-looking woman with a blonde updo sat in a recliner pointed toward the large-screen TV on the wall. A soap opera was taking her full attention. Terry could see, even now, the striking resemblance of her upturned nose and fine profile to Allison.

Fraser tried again. "We're from Roosevelt High and I wonder if we could ask you some questions?" He took a step closer and offered her the chocolates. She finally turned toward him. Terry sucked in her breath, unprepared for what she saw.