Heating Up ~ Mirna

"Are you sure about this? I mean, this seems kind of ... You sure this teacher won't care?" I ask.

"Nah, Mr. Huran is cool." Drew pulls a key from his pocket and unlocks the door to Mr. Huran's art classroom.

He walks in, but I hesitate at the door. Suddenly, I'm hot enough to sweat. "I just don't want you to get in trouble."

"You need a present for your dad, right?" Drew says like he didn't hear me.

I glance down the hallway and follow Drew in as he flicks the lights on.

"So, what are you thinking?" He gives me this heart-stopping look, and suddenly I find myself wondering how I ended up here with this guy. We were painting, and then we started talking, and before I knew it, I was telling him about how I was actually supposed to be Christmas shopping right now; and wouldn't it be awesome if I could still go home with a present. And here's this amazing guy who jumps at the chance to make it happen.

"Like an oil painting, or a sculpture, or what?" Drew puts his hands in the pockets of his hoodie and raises his eyebrows. Another hot flash washes over me, but this time, it's not my fear that's making my blood boil. When he looks at me, everything turns up a notch.

"A sculpture? Really?"

"Sculpture it is." Drew spins around and leads me across the classroom to a wooden cabinet. It's locked, but he has the key for that, too. Inside, we find a crap-load of supplies. My eyes land on the huge block of clay, and instantly, a plan for the best Christmas present ever just comes to me, like flicking on a lighter.

"Hey, Drew? Ever used the kiln before?"

Drew turns his head to look at the metallic oblong kiln in the corner. He glances back at me with a huge smirk on his face. "Let's fire it up."

"