12

The moon hung low in the night sky, casting shadows on the palace walls as Jeonghan, fueled by a reckless desire for revenge, slipped through the dimly lit corridors. A concealed dagger clutched in his hand, he approached the sleeping quarters of King Park, driven by a misguided sense of justice.

In the stillness of the night, Jisoo, Jeonghan's younger brother, sensed the impending danger. Guided by a mix of intuition and concern, he intercepted Jeonghan just as he prepared to strike. "Jeonghan, what madness possesses you? This is not the path to justice; it's a path to chaos and ruin!"

Caught off guard, Jeonghan faced a crucial moment of decision. His brother's plea wavered his determination, but the flames of vengeance burned deep within him. Before he could respond, Jisoo, realizing the gravity of the situation, decided to take matters into his own hands. He forcefully dragged Jeonghan back to the royal chamber where their father, Governor Yoon, sat in discussion with King Choi and the esteemed hierarchy.

The grandeur of the royal chamber, adorned with silk drapes and golden accents, served as the backdrop for an unexpected intrusion. The brothers, entangled in a silent struggle, stood before the high-ranking assembly.

Governor Yoon, initially perplexed by the disruption, swiftly comprehended the gravity of the situation. His eyes narrowed as he focused on Jeonghan, who stood with a mixture of defiance and remorse. "Jeonghan, is this how I raised you? To resort to violence and betrayal?"

In a moment that shattered the decorum of the royal chamber, Governor Yoon delivered a resounding slap across Jeonghan's face. The echoing sound cut through the tension, leaving a palpable silence. The governor's voice, seething with disappointment and disdain, echoed through the grand hall, "You bring shame upon our family and our kingdom. Is this the legacy you want to leave behind?"

As the weight of his father's scorn sank in, Jeonghan's eyes, stinging with both pain and regret, met Jisoo's gaze. The younger brother, torn between loyalty and a desire to protect, stood resolute.

King Choi, witnessing the spectacle, interjected with a stern tone, "Governor Yoon, such behavior is unacceptable. This is a place of diplomacy, not a stage for family disputes."

Governor Yoon, unmoved by the royal admonishment, continued to scold Jeonghan, "You are no son of mine if you choose the path of dishonor. Leave this palace, and do not return until you learn the consequences of your actions."

In an instant, Jeonghan, fueled by a mix of wounded pride and resentment, left the royal chamber. The grand doors closed behind him, sealing his departure from the kingdom's heart.

While the assembly grappled with the shocking turn of events, Prince Seungcheol, who had secretly admired Jeonghan from afar, felt a deep sense of regret for not intervening. As the echoes of Governor Yoon's disapproval lingered, Prince Seungcheol's conscience wrestled with the weight of missed opportunities.

Alone in his chambers, Prince Seungcheol whispered to himself, "Jeonghan deserved better. I should have stood by him. Now, the palace is colder without his presence."

As Ilsan's once-prominent son walked away from the palace, the regret etched on Prince Seungcheol's face mirrored the kingdom's loss. The tale of Jeonghan's fall from grace became a haunting reminder of the fragile threads that bind loyalty, love, and the consequences of unchecked ambition.