FORTY NINE

Word Count: 1725

~Tove

Keo brushes my hair back, gazing at me.

"How are you feeling?" he asks softly.

As much as I hate my mother for what she has done, it is a strange feeling knowing she is locked away in a prison, her freedom taken from her because of what I did.

I refuse to feel guilty about it. Others like Vail aren't alive now because of her, and now she is paying the price.

"I'm doing surprisingly okay," I admit. We have returned to Territory Two, giving me a chance to relax. "This went the best way it could have."

"Let's hope Dax keeps his word."

I smile a little. I appreciate him acting like he cares what happens to my mother, because him and I both know he wouldn't mind if she was killed.

"He will. I don't think he is evil, he's just doing what he thinks is right," I say tentatively.

I'll never forgive Dax for his hatred of Demon's, but I can't help but wonder what makes him think like that. Angel-blood's have always been told Demon's are evil, and now, Dax needs to change that narrative.

"Thank you, by the way. For not killing her," I quickly add.

His gaze softens. "She is your mother. I couldn't take her away from you."

I don't know how I got so lucky to find a mate like Keo. He let his own hatred for Angel-blood's melt away so he could truly love me. And now, he is defending me and those I care about, regardless of his own feelings.

"I love you," I breathe.

He leans forward. "I love you too."

His hands delve into my hair as he draws my lips to his. They are soft, his kiss gentle and comforting.

"The love of mates, huh?"

Keo and I pull away from each other fast, casting our gazes toward the sound of the intruding voice.

My heart falls from the sound of his voice before I even see him.

Relm saunters into the sitting room, looking around distastefully, as if he would rather be anywhere but here.

Keo stands, tense. "Relm. Aren't you brave, coming here, in my home to threaten my mate."

He's jumping straight to the point, avoiding any pleasantries. We both know he's here because my allocated time has come to an end and now I have to have an answer for him, or he's going to kill me.

"Tove and I had an agreement. Time's up," Relm reminds us, pinning me with his gaze.

"Don't worry, I have a proposition that may intrigue you," I tell him.

I spent all night since getting back from Dax's thinking of my plan with Relm. Well, at least when I had time between Keo ravaging me.

Relm doesn't look convinced. "Let me here it."

I steady myself. I'm about to take a massive risk, and with the freakishly tall, scary looking Relm looming over me, I'm prepared to have my neck snapped in an instance.

Keo knows I'm in danger too, which is why he stands so close by, monitoring the situation keenly.

"I know you're in love with Astera," I say confidently.

Relm's expression falls.

I can't tell what's surprised him more. Me successfully finding the Demon's, or deducing that he has feelings for one of them.