THIRTY FOUR

Word Count: 1653

~Tove

I bite into my sandwich, looking at Wren preparing hers.

When Wren and I returned not glaring hatefully at each other, he was reasonably surprised. We didn't dare tell him what we spoke about, which has left him curious all evening.

"Have you slept with him yet?" She questions.

My eyes widen, glancing at the door. Keo is somewhere in the house, and I don't want him overhearing our conversation. We have moved on to another home, in Territory Six, which is a vast improvement upon where we were before.

"Wren!" I scold.

"What? It's not an unreasonable question." A smile tilts at her lips, effortlessly devious. We haven't spoken much, but I can already tell that she is at ease digging into uncomfortable conversation topics.

I pick at the crust of the sandwich, forcing my own smile back. "Not entirely."

"What does that mean?" She raises a curious brow.

"You know what that means," I mumble, refusing to meet her gaze. By now Keo and I should have slept together, but I've been struggling to bring up the subject with him while I'm battling doubts about our relationship.

"What are you waiting for?"

"I'm waiting for him to commit himself to me fully," I muse, looking out the kitchen window. All I can see in the backdrop of darkness is my own face staring back at me.

"Do you really think Keo is going to be with someone else?" Wren questions, frowning. "It may not be obvious but he's obsessed with you."

I laugh breathily. I don't think Keo is obsessed with anything other than getting Demon's out of this realm.

"I don't think he would be with someone else. I mean he needs to commit to the idea of having a mate," I reiterate.

"What makes you think he won't?"

"He told me he will, but I won't feel sure about that until this mission is over," I admit.

I feel bad for doubting him, especially after the conversations we have had. But I can't help feeling this doubt...Keo isn't a normal man, and although he is my mate, I have to tread carefully.

"You know what Tove, fair enough," she says, although I hear the ounce of humour in her voice.

"It's not like I don't want him...at this point it's all I think about," I admit sheepishly.

Sometimes it's hard to fall asleep at night, that's how much it has been in my mind. But if I wanted some fun, I wouldn't know how to bring it up with him in case he turns me down. I doubt he would, but I wouldn't be able to handle it if he did.

"You can have fun and not feel tied down to him. He can only hurt you if you let him," she points out, inspecting the sandwich she made, her nose scrunching up.

"I know," I grumble. "I found out he was my mate when I went to his room with the intention of sleeping with him."

Him and I had only just started to get to know each other and I already felt an overwhelming tug of sexual desire. Since then it hasn't really diminished, I just have a lot more to lose these days.

Wren grins. "Then just do it. There's too much tension between you two anyways."

I smile tightly. "Don't tempt me because I will."

"So, are you two friends now or something?"

I jump, nearly dropping the last of my meal on the ground. Keo stands in the entrance of the doorway, leaning against the frame. There is a flicker in his eyes that I'm hoping isn't from him hearing our conversation.