FORTY EIGHT

Word Count: 1913

~Tove

"He touches you, I kill him," Keo warns.

I smile a little, rolling my eyes. My mate is acting as though I'm about to walk into a death match with a Noble, when the plan is to hopefully have a civil conversation.

Whether it will go the way I've planned is not assured, though.

"You're being dramatic," I assure him. "The poor man is a slave to Demon's."

"Nothing is happening that he doesn't deserve," he grumbles, rubbing the back of his neck. He is relinquishing a lot of involvement in this process by allowing me to meet with Dax on my own.

If Keo was there, the conversation wouldn't be productive.

I press my hands against his chest. "Go, I can handle this."'

Lines of tension cut into his forehead as he backs away. He wouldn't do this for anyone else, but he trusts me, and that means more to me than anything considering the last time I was here, in Mary's apartment, he was about to use my friend's illness as a way to have me work for him.

"Alright. It's good to see you, Mary. Good luck." Keo nods at my friend who lingers back, watching us.

The moment he vanishes, I let out a breath, turning back to Mary.

My apartment now belongs to someone else, however, Mary still lives in the building. We decided we needed somewhere in Territory One to wait out until one of the Noble's realises I'm here and comes after me again.

I approach my friend. "I hope this is okay. I don't want to put you in danger."

"He's not coming for me, don't worry," Mary assures me, giving me a tight smile.

She may not want to admit it, but she's nervous. Hopefully the Noble's don't waste any time and decide to question her as well.

"So he never came to you to get to me?" I ask. I suspected they may have since Mary is the closest link to me. I'm glad Dax was able to maintain some morals and left her alone.

She's been through enough because of me...

"Thankfully no."

I pull her into a hug. "I missed you. I can't wait until this is over so I can see you again."

"You're doing a good thing, Tove," Mary tells me earnestly. She pulls back. "Why don't you get some sleep. I'm sure he will show up eventually."

Mary and I bid each other goodnight and I head into her spare room. I tell her to blockade herself into her room, just in case.

Not that it would matter...

Clambering into bed, I pull the sheets up to my chin. I'm not sure how much sleep I'm going to get as I anticipate the Noble's arrival. There is no guarantee that they will take any notice, or that they will care, but I get the feeling Dax still have a vendetta he wants to settle.

Eventually I tumble into a restless sleep, haunted by Dax's dark eyes.

A loud, pounding knock at the door has me shooting out of bed.

I fumble for the light switch, my mind swirling with confusion. It takes me a moment to realise I'm in Mary's apartment and the person knocking loudly on the door in the middle of the night is definitely a Noble.

Rubbing my eyes I wander to the front door. Pausing, I straighten, readying myself.

Slowly, I open the door. Sure enough, it's Dax, his hands seated in his pockets, shadows shrouding him.