THIRTY THREE

Word Count: 1585

~Tove

Keo stands beside me as I stare out across the swampy landscape.

"Here is where you are going to want to go," he tells me, pointing down at the map.

I squint, examining it closely. It's imperative I get this right, otherwise I may end up in an unknown place with no hopes of getting back. Not to mention Wren is going to be with me, and if I screw this up, she won't let to let me know.

Today is the first time I'm going to be transporting her. She wants to see my powers for herself.

"What's there?" I ask warily.

"A waterfall. It will be a nice place for you to rest for a bit before you return."

I swallow tightly. This time there will be no Keo to bail me out of this goes poorly. I'm going to need to get Wren to the agreed upon place and back as soon as possible.

"So by bringing Wren, I'm encouraged to return as fast as I can so I don't have to be around her for too long," I say, plastering a sardonic smile on my face.

Wren's insufferable nature will have me straining my magic to its furthest limits to reduce the amount of time I have to spend with her.

I glance over at her, watching her roll her eyes.

"You two have a lot more in common than you think," Keo says, laughing under his breath.

"Oh really?" I narrow my eyes.

He smirks. "Yeah. You both like me."

"I wouldn't be so sure of that," Wren exclaims, brushing the large map out of her way as she approaches me. "Come on Tove, let's get this over with."

I take one last long look at the map, memorising where I need to go. Once I'm satisfied, I turn to an impatient Wren.

"Keep the snide remarks to a minimum. She needs to be able to concentrate," Keo says in her ear before pushing her closer to me.

Wren's lips curve into a sly smirk. "I better be impressed. There is a lot riding on this."

"Whatever," I grumble, grabbing her forearm.

She keeps silent as I close my eyes, concentrating on the coordinates I have in my head. This is the first time transporting without visualising an actual place in my head, so I'm surprised when it starts to work.

Wren remains still as we topple through space and time, clearly used to this feeling.

Soon enough our feet hit the ground. Tentatively I peek my eyes open, greeting by the sight of a tall waterfall that rears up toward the clouds.

I sigh with relief. That sight is as beautiful as Keo described, although the river the waterfall connects to churns wildly, surging off through the trees.

If Wren gets in my nerves, I'm going to shove her into the water.

"Well. We made it alive," Wren muses, brushing a stray leaf off her shoulder that has fallen from the trees that loom over us.

"What did you think was going to happen?" I mutter, resting back against a strong tree trunk, looking at the droplets of water that glisten in the sunlight as they fall through the air.

Wren laughs. "Honestly? Nothing."

"You know I have power. Why do you keep pretending like I don't?" I snap.

She glares at me with her dark, disapproving eyes. She hates me so much she blinding herself from the truth. I shouldn't care...there is nothing she can do to stop what is happening.