18. Just friends

"Keep your eyes on me," Zias whispers against my lips. His warm hands travel down the sides of my body as our gazes remain locked onto one another.

The silk behind me is soft compared to his rough skin and although I can feel Gianno's gaze on me, I find myself becoming aroused just from Zias's touch.

"Fuck her, now. I don't care if she's not ready, do it!" Gianno yells impatiently.

With the way Zias laid us down Gianno only has view of our side profiles, Zias's body is covering most of mine, shielding me from view. He parts my knees wider and settles in between my legs, my heart is beating a million miles a minute as I grasp his shirt and continue to look into his dark eyes. 

I'm waiting for him to take himself out and push my underwear aside and sink himself inside me. But instead he caresses my cheek, watching my face with such softness my breath gets caught in my throat. "You have the prettiest eyes," he whispers, his breath fanning my lips. "They've always been my weakness. I could have been dealing with the worst of assignments but one glimpse at them and my entire day was made."

In a swift motion Gianno is up and moving towards us. "Are you both deaf?" he yells and shoves Zias, which doesn't so much as move Zias an inch. Instead he sits up on his own, planting both feet on the floor, and glares at Gianno. "Maybe you need some help." He grabs the top hem of my dress and has every intention of exposing my breasts when Zias's hand shoots out and grasps his wrist firmly.

"Don't you fucking dare," he spits, his voice deadly.

"I'm fucking done with you two-" Gianno's words are cut off when Zias takes the needle out of his back pocket and sticks it in Gianno's neck.

In an instant Gianno is knocked out at the same time his two men who had been outside of the room come bursting in. Zias grabs the gun out of Gianno's limp fingers and shoots two bullets, one for each man.

"We need to go." He grabs my hand and drags me out of bed and back into the office. He closes the door, locking Gianno in. I'm sure if he were awake he'd have a way out but he won't be waking up for at least another 12 hours.

"Do you think they heard the gunshots?" I ask as we step out into the hallway.

"Hey, you! Stop!" someone yells from our left before removing his gun from his waistband.

"I think they did," Zias says as he drags me to the right and further down the hall.

A man coming out of a room further ahead of us spots us. He looks confused but once he sees the man after us he quickly goes for his gun but stumbles to grab it fast enough. Zias puts a bullet in him and I steal his gun before we continue running. At the end of the hall is a set of stairs, we take them up and see they lead to a large room with cardboard boxes spread around.

We lock the door behind us and Zias takes out his phone. "Vaughn, change of plans we need you guys in here now."

We were trying to make this go as quietly as possible but now that we've been made out it's impossible. Maybe if we would have gone along with it and had sex in front of Gianno we could have earned his trust and deceived him someway but I saw the look in Zias's face, he couldn't do it and frankly I don't think I could have done it either.

"He's in a room within the office, by his desk, the door code is 3568," Zias adds. I hadn't noticed him watching Gianno put in the code.

He hangs up and grasps my face within his hands. "I need you to stay here."

I shake my head. "No. I'm not letting you go out there alone, we're partners."

There's loud pounding on the door, men trying to force their way in. The door is thick which is holding off the bullets but it won't be long until they get inside.

"Shiloh," he whispers and places a soft kiss against my lips. "Please."

"No, I'm going with you." I put as much force into my words as possible letting him know I'm serious. "We're going to do this together and no matter what happens, I'm glad I'm here with you. There's no one else I'd rather be doing this with."

"Even if I'm a Yeikver?" he jokes but there's a desperation in his voice that's pleading with me to answer him honestly.

Now's not the time for us to be having this conversation but it feels like we have to have it now, like these words have to be said out loud just in case.

I hold his hands as they grasp my cheeks. "Yes. I was an idiot for letting the past affect the way I saw Yeikvers. I never even gave them a chance because if I did I would have seen how amazing they can be. Maybe I would have spoken to you sooner and we would have been friends way before we became partners."

He smiles down at me. "Do you seriously think we could have ever been just friends, Shiloh?"

I smile up at him. "Probably not."

"Most definitely not." His lips meet mine in a passionate embrace before we pull away. "You ready for this?"

"Yes." I check that that my gun is loaded and stand opposite of Zias besides the door frame.

He gives me one final longing look before he unlocks the door, it's ripped open and two men step inside. In their haste to get in, they miss our pressed bodies from beside the door. When they finally look sideways it's too late.

Their bodies lay on the floor with a bullet hole each and our guns containing one bullet less. No matter, we take the mens guns and proceed on.

At the bottom of the stairs is another man, he's talking into a walkie talkie but his voice is cut off when I shoot him.

Zias picks up the walkie talkie. "Disregard," he says into it. "I'm sure they'll  still come after us, but maybe if it confuses some of them then it was worth the shot."

"Anything to buy us time is worth the shot," I say.

There's a huge commotion going on downstairs, the other agents must be in and causing havoc. It won't be long until they take over the building and this is all over. All Zias and I have to do is stay alive until then.

"Let's go back into the office," Zias says from behind me.

I'm about to agree with him when a figure steps into our line of vision. Kal comes around the corner with a gun gripped in his hands and pure furry edged onto his face.

"What have you done!" he yells and a shot goes off.

I'm disoriented for a moment and don't realize what just happened until Zias's loud groan fills my ears. As soon as he saw Kal, he had pulled my body behind his and the bullet that flew from Kal's gun went straight into him instead of me.

Zias is hunched on his knees while red pools on the floor. Kal is so concentrated on his fury towards Zias that he doesn't realize I have a gun too. I almost shot him in the head but I want him to live and to suffer, so I aim for his legs instead and one for his hand so he drops the gun.

Men in National Security uniforms come running our way. One calls for a medic, another runs into Gianno's office, and a older man with white hair gets down on the floor and takes Zias's pulse, all while I stand with my bones frozen and my heart pierced with fear.