2. His whore

"More potatoes hunny?" my mom asks from across the dining table. I shake my head since my mouth is full but she places more on my plate anyways.

"So, how long will you be gone then?" my dad asks from beside me.

I slow down my chewing to buy myself time. This afternoon, Niana had dropped off my file with the little information we know about the Ravens. One of the most dangerous gangs in the U.S, they run all of the underground crime in Southern California. Zias and I are going to go undercover as a wealthy couple from overseas looking to make a big purchase, big enough to get a meeting with the big boss. It'll take some time to gain their trust so that they think we're legit and we have to be extremely careful not to get caught.

While reading the file, a growing knot formed in my stomach. Not over being surrounded by criminals, I deal with them all the time, maybe not often in person but still, but by the word couple that had been highlighted.

"I'm not sure dad. I can't discuss the details of the assignment but if it makes you feel better, I'll be within the state. For your safety I can't visit or call often but I'll try to keep you both updated on how I'm doing." My parents have always been supportive of my work, but I've never gone on an assignment like this before so I can understand their worry.

"I'm proud of you, Shiloh, you know that right?" my dad asks and I nod with a smile. "I trust your skills, mainly since I trained you myself. I know you can handle anything."

I reach for his hand and give it a squeeze. My dad has always been a paranoid man, most likely from all the stories he's had passed down to him from the war. He began training me when I was 11, it was no surprise to him that I wanted to become an agent when I was older. All through college, I continued training with him even though he's not as swift as he used to be since he's gotten older. There was a moment when I had stopped, when going out partying seemed more fun than punching a dummy.

I blink away those thoughts and focus on my mom's glazed eyes. "Well, you're still my daughter and no matter how skilled you are I'll always worry about you," my mom says with a soft voice.

"I'll be fine, mom, really you don't have to worry." I smile at her, my sweet mom with her long auburn hair with tendrils of white, kind blue eyes, and soft smile.

Growing up I always wished I looked more like her but she always told me she wished she looked like me. I got my dads brown hair, his hazel eyes and his height. The only feature I got from my mom was my curves.

"Do you have a good partner? Someone you can trust to be by your side?" my mom asks, her eyes wide as she waits for me to answer.

"Um..." If I tell them it'll worry them, especially my mom. She's already going to be a nervous wreck until I'm back home. Once I get the promotion it'll take a few more assignments until she'll feel more comfortable with my new position.

"Yes, he's well respected in the agency. I'm sure we'll be fine." I keep it vague, maybe once I'm back I'll mention it. I'm bound to go on more assignments with other Yikvers, if they see that this one went well then it'll make them feel better about the more to come.

"Well if he's half as good as you, then yes you'll be alright," my dad says and I let out a small laugh that sounds a little too forced.

***

Wednesday morning, I'm up bright and early. Our assignment starts today and I'm more than ready to begin.

Yesterday we got our gear and spoke with our team about the Ravens. It felt odd being on the receiving end of the information but I left the meeting feeling more confident and prepared. Zias and I barely exchanged any words. Surprisingly, the silence between us isn't awkward but it still irks me nonetheless. Today we leave and he has no choice but to start talking to me.