7. Massages

The corner of his lips tilt up and there's a devilish glint in his eyes, I swear I've never seen him look so attractive before. "I was wondering if you'd catch that. But it's personal, not something we discuss freely."

I want to ask questions, practically biting my tongue not to, but he said it's personal. "Alright, I can respect that. Do you think I'll ever find out?"

Now that I know there's parts of his anatomy that humans don't know about, I'm dying to know what it is.

He watches me for a moment, that glint still in his eyes. "Yes."

Somehow that one word holds so much power behind it as if he's telling me something rather than just answering my question.

For some reason it makes my cheeks warm so I lay back down on the bed, turning to face the ceiling. "So that was all then, with the girl?"

He coughs. "Yeah, I tried asking her questions but she didn't know much of anything when it came to the Ravens. I wanted to try and speak with the other men but they were all occupied. That guy who you were with, did he hurt you at all?"

Hurt? No. Tempt me to murder? Yes.

I turn my head to look at him again. "He was touchy but I managed."

He nods, his eyes focused on a spot by my head. "I was touchy, before."

"Yes, but I didn't mind," I say without thinking. "I would have broken your thumb if you had gone too far," I add to loosen the tension growing in the room.

He lets out a puff of a laugh. "I believe it. I've seen you train before, I'm sure you could do a lot more than break my finger."

"You'd be correct. My father's been training me since I was 11, I have a lot more skills than breaking fingers under my belt." Mentioning my dad leaves a sour taste in my mouth. If he knew where I was, what I was doing and with who, he'd go bat shit crazy. I need to remember to give them a call when I can and remind them that I'm okay.

His brows lift a touch. "Wow, I don't think I've met many humans who can say the same."

"My dad's been hearing stories of the war since he was a little kid. It instilled enough fear in him that he began taking martial arts classes at a young age. He even joined the military and did that for a few years before he had to be released from duty due to an injury. That's when he met my mom, she was his physical therapist." I smile at the picture in our living room of my dad in crutches and his nurse standing in the background on the day he was dispatched from the hospital. They went on their first date the following week. "Anyways, he made a promise to himself that if he ever decided to have kids, he would train them to be stronger than he ever was."

I could never get rid of the images my dad planted into my head. The ones of our ancestors on the run, of my great great grandmother being captured and tortured and god knows what else done to her all because she became close with a Yikver. The instincts they showed that day that made her a clear indignation of her friendship with them. The fear I grew up with that one day the Dharxians will come back.

Because they will be back! My dad would say. And we better be prepared for when they do. Getting close to a Yikver is like signing your life away. They can't control themselves, if you are close with one they will treat you like property! Those Dharxians will get one look at you and know you mean something to them and they will rip you apart just to spite them!

I look at Zias and I can't imagine him treating me like property but I don't really know him, I don't know any of them enough to know their true nature. What I do know is the documented history of the war and the news I hear of accidents over the years of Yikvers instincts coming up and them not being able to control them.