Chapter 8

Wael Al Dahoudh a journalist of Gaza and bureau Chief of Al-Jazeera in Gaza City will be remembered as a sign of victory and strength for generations to come. Wael lost five members of his family since 7, October 2023.

Hamza his elder son who was a journalist too is killed (martyred) in an airstrike on his car. He was traveling with two other Journalists to cover the news.

After Wael's son's demise and his funeral prayers and burial, Wael Al Dahoud is already back on the field covering news. What a profound man, a true patriot, and a worrier.

Hamza-w-Daoud after his mother's death always used to talk about her and prayed to be united with her. Wael's wife and Hamza's mother, Wael's son and Hamza's brother Mahmoud who was 15 years old, Wael's daughter and Hamza's sister Sham who was 7 years old, and Wael's nephew earlier were killed (martyred) in an airstrike. While Wael and Hamza were at work covering news earlier in December 2023.

As the end narrative, the echo of anguish reverberates. A poignant reminder of the enduring suffering and unwavering spirit of the people of Gaza.

The stark reality of stolen childhood lives shattered, and futures truncated unfolds against the backdrop of an ongoing conflict that has brought unimaginable catastrophe.

The heart-wrenching testimonies from Gaza pierce through the silence, recounting not just the loss of homes, shelter, and basic necessities but the unbearable pain of witnessing loved ones fall victim to violence.

A tragedy that transcends any hardship or struggle.

As the author of this chronicle, I am at a loss for words to describe the resilient children of Gaza. Their innocence is marred by the daily horror of death and destruction. Their rightful claim to a future free from fear.

Their yearning for the joys of childhood that every child deserves. Serves as a rallying cry for global empathy and collective action.

The death toll, a stark reflection of the brutal impact of the Israel-Gaza conflict on human lives, begs for a permanent resolution to the root causes.

In the face of a devastating humanitarian crisis, where hunger, fatigue, homelessness, grief, and wounds plague the people of Gaza, an urgent plea arises for collective global support to eliminate their suffering.

Birth of this short Memorial

This memorial is born out of a collective grief felt worldwide, a call for peace and justice for the Palestinian people. The headlines that emerge from Gaza, despite concerns about independent reporting, cyber security, and internet provision, underscore the vulnerability of essential services and the deprivation of basic human rights.

The destruction of 92 universities and schools, the ruins of infrastructure, the disconnection of education efforts, and the reduction of medical and residential facilities to rubble paint a dark and grim picture.

The UN Secretary-General writes that 144 members of our UN family have been killed in Gaza. He said it's the largest single loss of life in the history of the UN Organization.

In the face of the magnitude of this disastrous catastrophe... a stark reminder, of the immediate need for empathy, solidarity, positive thoughts, and a collective commitment to peace becomes apparent.

The urgency of an immediate and permanent ceasefire cannot be overstated.

The humanitarian crisis, the violence endured by the Palestinian people. The sacrifices made for the hope of the sovereignty of the homeland are too great for any nation to bear. The path forward is clear - dialogue, permanent solution, giving rights and peace.