Chapter 3

Size of Gaza Significance

If we try to grasp the knowledge about the size of Gaza, let us look at a few examples to understand how big Gaza is. As we all live in different continents and regions of the world so different examples will help paint a clear picture for understanding.

Gaza in Comparison with LA (Los Angeles) - USA

The USA. LA (Los Angeles), which is about 1,300 sq km and almost 502 sq miles, is 3.5 times Gaza's size. The length of Gaza can be described as, starting from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and ending at San Bernardino, and the width from Beverly Hills to East Hollywood.

Gaza in Comparison with Beijing - China

If we take the example of Beijing, China, and compare it with Gaza, then Beijing sprawls on more than 16,411 sq km, which makes it 6,336 sq miles, making it 45 times bigger in size than Gaza. Gaza, which has a length of 41 km (25 miles), is of the same length as Taoranting Park to Longtan Lake Park and is 10 km (6 miles) wide, similar to the distance from Daxing to Tiantongyuan, Beijing.

Gaza in Comparison with Berlin - Germany

Another comparison to explain how big Gaza is, an example could be Berlin, Germany. Berlin, which was once divided into two parts, East and West by the Berlin Wall, stretches over an area of 829 sq km, which would be 344 sq miles, and is about twice the size of Gaza. The Gaza strip can be calculated as the same as that from Kreuzberg to Gesundbrunnen, and Gaza's length is the same as that from Kladow to Fredersdorf-Vogelsdorf.

Gaza in Comparison with Kyiv - Ukraine

Gaza, if compared in size with Kyiv, Ukraine. It spans over an area of 839 sq km, which would be 324 sq miles, which is about twice the size of Gaza. The length of Gaza is as long as that from Irpin to Brovary, and the width of Gaza is as from Pechersk district to Rybalsky district.

Gaza in Comparison with Sydney - Australia

Talking about Gaza's size compared with Sydney, Australia. Sydney stretches over an area of 12,368 sq km, which would be 4,775 sq miles, which is 34 times bigger than Gaza. The total length of Gaza would be similar to that between the Sydney Opera House and St. Mary, and the entire width of Gaza would be from North Sydney to Alexandria.

Gaza in Comparison with Nairobi - Kenya

If we take Nairobi's example, Kenya to match with Gaza. Nairobi has an area of almost 696 sq km, which would be 269 sq miles, meaning it is twice the size of Gaza. Gaza's length is the same as the distance between the Karen Blixen Museum and the Kenyatta University Campus. Gaza's width would be the same as the distance from Uhuru Gardens to the Nairobi Arboretum.

Gaza in Comparison with Doha - Qatar

Another example can be Qatar Doha, in comparison of size with Gaza. Qatar's capital city, Doha, has an area of 132 sq km, which would be 51 sq miles, which is about 40% of the size of Gaza. The length of Gaza is almost the same as the distance between Al Wakra and Umm Salal Muhammed, and the width of Gaza would be equivalent to that of the West Bay to Doha Expressway.

Gaza in Comparison with Islamabad - Pakistan

Yet, another example is Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan, which was established in 1960, 13 years after partition with India and independence from the British Empire. It stretches over an area of about 906 sq km, which would be approximately 349 sq miles, which is about 2.5 times Gaza's size. The length of Gaza is almost the distance from the village of Daleh to Ternol, and the width of Gaza is similar to that of Saidpur to Rawal Lake.