Chapter 4

Chapter - 4

Stories of Loss and Grief from Gaza

Fathi Abu Saada and Iman Abu Saada

Both of them were 21 years old. This is an age when dreams start to take the shape of practical reality. At this age not even touching the stars would feel enough. So many hopes and aspirations rise, the same was the case with these two. Both of them were so full of life, energetic, and wanted to achieve so much in life for themselves and their family.

They lived along with their family in one block of Al-Fakhoura residential apartments in Gaza.

Fathi Abu Saeeda was known as a noble, caring person. An intelligent soul who was always ready to help others. He was loving and respectful towards his sisters and mother. Always praising God Almighty he was heard saying May Allah Kareem have mercy on us or pray for us. His father Mufid Abu Saada, was killed in the Fakhoura massacre in 2009 that too in the same place.

Iman Abu Saeeda was a gentle, kindhearted girl. She devoted her life to her studies and was building up her career as a freelance marketer in the field of digital marketing. All around her used to praise her for her leadership qualities. Her positive soul was the center of attraction in every family, friends or colleagues gathering.

Her belief was that martyrs are alive and she seldom mentioned that she wished to see her as a martyr while wrapped in shroud.

These two were living peacefully with their family and their mother. They were proud to have had three engineers in their family. Fathi and his two sisters Hadeel and Israa. Their dream was to open an engineering office of their own one day. But not all dreams come true.

Their dreams and hopes were cut short on October 14, 2023, when they were killed (embraced martyrdom) along with 70 others due to the Israel air strikes as a result of the Israel and Hamas conflict which started on 7 October 2023.

Abdulrahman Siedem

An adorable child. A child who was the apple of the eyes of all. He loved Gaza his motherland very much. Abdulrahman was a bright, intelligent student whose aspirations and dreams knew no bounds. He lived in Al-Hawa neighborhood, in the west side of Gaza.

He loved to visit the sea whenever he could with his family. Many of his friends say that as they remember him he was very helpful and kind. He loved outdoor sports and sitting in gardens.

He was fond of taking pictures and loved the company of his friends. He used to take a lot of photos with his friends saying that these memories we would cherish once we grew up. He wanted to contribute to making the world a better place. He deserved to live a happy, long, healthy, prospective life.

One airstrike finished all for him and his family. His dreams were shattered on October 16, 2023, when he was killed ( embraced martyrdom) along with his entire family.

Journalist Mohammed Al-Jajah

He was a trusting, profound teacher, colleague, and mentor. he was adored by his family, friends, and colleagues. In all roles of his life as a son, brother, husband, father, and as a person he was exemplary. He visited 30 countries in Europe and other places of the world but his love for Gaza was unconditional as his motherland.

He could have citizenship of other countries easily but he never applied for it. He said he would live in Gaza and if fate be, die in Gaza.

Mohammad was very active and respected in civil society in Gaza. He was an advisor and special correspondent of many international and local institutions. His lectures were full of knowledge. His motto was never to give up no matter how hard the circumstances are in life.