Chapter 6

Poet Salim Al-Nafar

Salim was a refugee from Jaffa who resided in the Al-Nafar refugee camp in Gaza. He was accompanied by his kids and wife.

He was very involved in society's welfare and never missed a chance to lend anyone a helping hand in need. Many of his friends called him the heart of gold. He was known for his empathy and kindness. In his writings and poetry, he always showed love for his homeland and the place he resided in Jaffa.

Salim's poetry and writings were quite famous in the local circles. He contributed to the culture of Palestine through his writings and poetry.

He bore his share of grief, struggles and hardships. Through his endurance, his writings and poetry became more powerful and impactful.

Salim was killed (martyred) along with his family on December 7, 2023, when an airstrike wiped away his home from the face of the earth. Along with his wife and kids, his brother's wife and children were also killed (martyered) by that airstrike.

Salim is no more but his legacy will remain and will be remembered in the form of his writings and poetry.

Child Rasha Abu Jahal

Nothing is more sorrowful than a child's demise. Children are innocent and their laughter lit up the darkest corners of life for their parents and for all around them.

Rasha was born in Gaza. Beautiful, adorable, always smiling Rasha is no more with us. She was almost three years old.

On December 1, 2023 Rasha was killed (martyred) when her home and her neighbourhood got bombarded. Her mother and siblings all became the victims of that strike.

Little Rasha became an angel of heaven.

Rasha is survived by her father, who while remembering his family and Rasha constantly, has almost turned into a living dead.

Child Yara

Yara was killed (martyred). Subjected to an airstrike on her home. She as all children loved toys. One of her dolls was her favourite one, whom she used to cuddle all the time. The most grieving part is that Yara's body remained trapped under the rubble of her house for three days. Until her body was discovered by the rescue workers along with her doll.

same bombardment.

Rasha is survived by her father, who remembering his family has almost turned into a living dead. Yara was born in Gaza, and different videos of her holding her doll and telling it not to worry or get scared of the shelling surfaced internet. Yara was so full of life and had a bright future ahead of her. Not any details are there about the parents of Rasha available. But what circulating videos tell us is, that the girl who was reassuring his doll not to get scared and all would be OK soon.

Bilal Abu Samaan

Bilal was a kind, gentel soul. He was known for his pleasant and helpful persona. For any problem big or small, he was always among the first ones to offer any help he could.

Among the Palestinian youth, his stature was of a star. He was the coach of the Palestinian athletics team. He also worked as a Physical education teacher at the American School in the Gaza Strip.

Since October 7, 2023, when the airstrikes on Gaza started, Bilal went to assist the medical teams and rescue workers to help them rescue those who got killed (martyred) and were trapped under the rubble. His humanitarian efforts were appreciated by the medical, and rescue teams and by the local people.

As per routine Bilal was working with the rescue and medical teams when an airstrike hit a house in Khan Yunis. Bilal along with the other rescue and relief workers rushed to the site to save lives and help people who were trapped under the rubble. He was doing his work when suddenly in the same area, same site another airstrike hit.