CHAPTER 4

“Calm down Abhi" Sohail  whispered, dragging his friend to a side, "Why are you getting so worked up? She is scared as it is, why are you getting vexed on her?"

"What else am I to do? Did you see the time? Who comes out so late and screams disturbing the neighbourhood?" Abhimanyu argued though he felt nothing convincing in his own argument.

"First it's an empty ground, there's no one around in miles who could have been disturbed by that scream. Second, she did not call us here for help; we happened to be here and came to help."

Abhimanyu pinched the bridge of his nose; Sohail was right no doubt, why couldn’t he just control his irritation at times. Sohail knew his friend very well by now and knew exactly what was going on his mind, so he gently patted Abhimanyu’s back understandingly.

“It’s all right mate, happens to the best of us” he said gently, steering Abhimanyu towards the girl.He gave her an apologetic smile which was returned with a small, timid smile.

Sohail felt bad for her, it was so late in the night, she was scared out of her wits whatever, however small the reason was and she had to face two men, one of whom had been not too calm about the whole situation too, all in the dead of the night in an empty playground with no other living being in sight for miles.

"Ma'am, you can trust us with your safety" Sohail began saying carefully, "You can tell us where you are going and we will drop you there safely. And also Ma'am, I apol—"

"I am sorry for losing my cool then, Ma'am and lashing out at you when you are not to be blamed. Please accept my apologies" Abhimanyu cut him. He wouldn't let someone else apologise for his mistake; he was a man and he had been taught real men own their wrongdoings.

Sohail smiled, nodding in acknowledgement at his friend. Then he turned to the lady, to be honest she was perplexing him a lot.

"Ma'am what is your name?" He asked calmly, "Don't tell us your full name if you are uncomfortable."

"I am Mritsa" she answered, pulling the dupatta over her head.

Abhimanyu gasped, taking a small step back whilst Sohail firmly placed a hand on his shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze.