CHAPTER 9

"Abhi do you want omelet or scrambled eggs?"

The clinking of utensils and spluttering of mustard in hot oil pervaded the kitchen and living room. Abhimanyu coughed just as a strong aroma hit his nostrils the moment he was about to reply. Sohail had put red chilies to fry too.

"Yeah..Abhi?" Sohail asked in between coughs too, coming out of the kitchen with a reddened nose, "Omelet or scrambled eggs?" 

Abhimanyu waved his hand to clear the air, still recovering from the unexpected onslaught of spice. "Scrambled eggs, Sohail. And, maybe, less drama with the chilies next time?"

Sohail chuckled, his eyes watering slightly, "Point noted. Scrambled eggs it is." 

Abhimanyu's gaze returned to the newspaper in his hands again. The article pertained various theories of evolution of species and humankind. He bore particular interest for that topic but his interest seemed more inclined towards recollections of the afternoon spent in an unexpected rendezvous with the two college girls. 

"Sohail" he called to his friend amidst the sounds of sizzling and scraping against a metal pan.

"Did you change your mind about the eggs bro? I have only just washed them" Sohail peeped from the kitchen door, spatula in hand.

"Sohail, it's quite strange, don't you think? I mean, who doesn't have GPay or some form of digital payment these days?" Abhimanyu asked with a thoughtful tilt of his head.

Sohail who had hurriedly turned off the stove, nodded, "True, it's become so commonplace. But maybe she's not tech-savvy or prefers using cash."

Abhimanyu raised an eyebrow. "In this day and age? I mean, it's not just about tech-savvy; it's about convenience."

"Valid, but not everyone thinks that way. Maybe she just has a different perspective on these things" Sohail leaned back, mulling over the point, "Maybe she tends to overspend while using online payment you know people do that a lot than people who use cash and so she just completely deleted those apps."

Abhimanyu shook his head, "Sohail, I get having preferences, but some form of online payment means is almost mandatory for any college student, a girl on top of that, to have these days especially should emergency situations arrive."  

 "Maybe there's a reason. Personal choice, privacy concerns, or maybe she's had a bad experience. People have their reasons, Abhi" Sohail shrugged, heading back to the kitchen whilst quickly adding, "Don't forget to keep ready a good set of casuals for tomorrow bro."

"Right Sohail, I will, don't worry" Abhimanyu answered with a reassuring smile. Now, more than ever, his curiosity had been piqued and there was no way he was missing the college fest.

•.....••<<<<∆∆∆∆∆>>>>••.....•

The evening sky still had time to make room for dusk but the fairy lights decorating the college campus buzzing with life were blinking and glimmering like stars descended on the ground.

The academic ambience of the campus had transformed into a vivid spectacle that was churning out ripples of laughter and vibrant chaos without a pause.

Amidst this plethora of youthful vivacity, behind a haze of aromatic smoke and lively hum of people, there stood Mritsa painting a picture of serenity, gracefully manning her food stall.

"That smells delicious!"

Mritsa raised her head from the pan in a slow and sure motion, beaming at the young woman standing in front of the counter.

"Oh hi! Thank you for your compliment" Mritsa replied a little bashfully,"Would you like to try anything?"

"Ah sure! You think I will be content with only smelling the mouth watering food you have laid out here?" The woman smiled back, tucking behind her hair behind her ears adorned with a pearl stud, "What's special in the menu?"

"The special today is 'Panipat ki pani puri'. Try it. It's not your everyday pani puri!" Mritsa said trying to control her giggles, the 'authentic' nomenclature for the food items were all Tanshia's doing.

"Very well, what's your name by the way? I am Anita"

Mritsa looked up momentarily, the girl was probably her age ir a bit older  and the simple yet elegant black long dress she wore with white stilletos made her quiet the one in the crowd.

"I am Mritsa" she responded donning a gracious smile, "I have never seen you in college, you must be a guest or judge?"

"You got that right I am a guest in this town itself" Anita answered with a soft laugh, "I am staying at my uncle's place for a short while and he is cousin of the History HOD in the college so he got an invite and I tagged along."

"Ah I see. I am  studying Geography and am new to the state itself"

"Geography!! I have - hey watch out!!!"

Mritsa startled as Anita swiftly pushed her hand away from the bowl of  red chutney saving her long white sleeve from getting soiled. She was about to mouth a very sincere thank-you to Anita but the latter waved her hand.

"It's ok  you are welcome" she said with a huge smile, "Maybe try not wearing white next time you cook to avoid looking like you got someone's blood on your hands"

This time both girls burst into giggles as the aroma pervaded their nostrils and so did an unexpected exclamation minutes later.