Chapter 22

September 1, 2017

"What about your parents?"

Roseanne's voice is soft, but it punctures through the narrative of the book I'm reading. It takes me a minute to pull myself out of the story and turn to her expectant expression tucked beside me on our flight to California.

"What?"

She's holding my half of the guest list on her cell phone. "Are you going to invite your parents to the wedding?"

I hesitate. "I don't think so. I'm inviting Hyori though."

"I'm glad your sister's coming. Are you sure not your mom and dad?"

I click my kindle off and lean closer to her. "I don't think I can forgive them. I know that's not what you want to hear." I focus my gaze out the airplane window, staring over the sprawl of the city beneath us. I imagine my father holding my hand as he walks me down the aisle and how uncomfortable that would feel. "I think if they went to the wedding, I wouldn't enjoy myself as much."

Roseanne frowns. "I just don't want you to miss out on something without really thinking about it."

"I've thought about it. And I really feel like they only belong in my past."

Roseanne nods, sweeping to the next screen on her app and pins a couple color suggestions before directing her gaze outside.

Orange County's John Wayne Airport is close enough to the Pacific Ocean to kiss. Roseanne's never seen it before, so she points it out as we fly over million dollar homes, and come to a jarring stop on the tarmac. What I remember of my previous life's trips to California is a blur of palm trees, tourist traps, and overly congested freeways that shock me even by New York standards.

"I'm really excited to see her again." Roseanne states as she heads toward the baggage carousel people from our flight have congregated around.

"Yeah, me too."

I stare out the window of the terminal, watching the cars circle past, drivers glancing out to catch sight of their loved ones before TSA agents usher them along.

"She'll be here." Roseanne eases and then points to our luggage. "There it is."

I haul it off the conveyor, and she wrangles the carryon as we head to the curb. I dial Jisoo as the warmth of Southern California wraps me up when we slip outside.

"Mmm, that's nice and warm."

"Yeah. Wow, it's great." Roseanne slides her glasses on, her hand ruffling her hair into the slight breeze. Her matching engagement ring flashes in scattered sunlight.

The line connects on the second ring.

"You guys landed? I'm coming around again. American Airlines is terminal A, right?"

"Yeah, we're by a pylon that has the number 3 on it."

"Okay. I'm in a Black SUV. Be there in two minutes."

When she disconnects, my heart starts hammering in excitement. It's been a year since I was Jisoo's maid of honor and I've missed her so much. I just cannot wait to hug her and catch up on all the excitement of the last year. As I stare at the oncoming traffic, the flash of headlights catches my attention, and my smile is so big my cheeks hurt.

"There she is."

The heavily tinted Volvo comes to a stop beside us, and in the next instant, Jisoo's crushing me in her arms. She's glowing, tanned, and the picture of a Southern California beauty. The spirals of merlot ombre in the length of her hair catch the light nearly as much as her Gucci glasses.