Chapter 20

February 25, 2017

In another world, I didn't have this night with Roseanne. I didn't realize it until now, but we fought a lot. I don't remember what it was about, but Roseanne had gone to her first Broadway meet and greet without me.

Not this time, though.

The limo pulls up to the curb outside her apartment, and I look out at the warm glow from her apartment. Smiling up at them, I can't believe how many milestones I'm gonna give back to myself.

When the driver opens the door for me, I tighten my coat warding away the chill as I step out into the snow. It stopped falling, so it feels colder as I fish into my purse. I pass the driver a slip of paper with the restaurant's address, and he gives me my credit card back.

"I'll text back to your dispatch number when we're ready for pick up."

"That'll work. Thank you, Mrs. Kim." He goes back to the driver's seat, and his slip-up leaves my heart fluttering. I shake it away as I get my phone in my hand. I feel warmer in the light from the street lamp, so I stand in its halo as I call Roseanne.

I touch the screen, and a picture of Roseanne laughing pops up. It makes a smile tug my lips, and I swipe the image away only to replace it with her contact listing. The line rings, and when it connects I glance up at her apartment again.

"Hi, sweetheart." I can hear her smile through the phone.

"Hi, angel. I'm outside."

"Okay, be down in a minute."

"See you."

My breath blossoms in the night as I wait, only to have it whisked away a moment later. I stare at the stairwell she'll walk down with my stomach knotting in anticipation, hoping that she's surprised.

Hoping that she's happy.

I said I'd drive to the restaurant, but I really hope that the limousine behind me gives a clue that this isn't any ordinary date. This is the start of something I want to be magical. When I remind myself of that, I don't mind that I'll be eating Ramen for the next month to afford it, nor do I even feel the brisk rake of winter as it pulls my hair around my face and into my eyes.

I swipe the strands back, and when I do, I see Roseanne coming down the stairs. She slows at the bottom as she looks out at me and then trades the mottled shadow on the side of the building for the amber glow of the street light as she comes toward me.

I lose my breath because she really is the most beautiful creature on the earth.

She comes toward me putting one foot in front of the other in a model walk I showed her for fun years ago. I grin when I see it, and her lips form a secret smile because she knows I know. I follow the stylish black high heel boots up as they move, as her legs shift under the matte leather pants she wears.

Okay, leather pants. Seriously, she must be trying to kill me. They make her legs look long, pliant, and toned as the light outlines every sinew, every cut of her dancer's muscles and her lithe gate that seems set to music. I drag my eyes further, to where a peacoat is wrapping around her like a lover.

She prowls like a panther, dark and sexy with a whisper of danger in her advance. It's not just confidence, she always has that in spades. What she's exuding now is something else. It makes her look like a totally different person or at least it seems like it, until her ruby red lips part with the beaming smile owned by my only love.

I reach out when she's close enough and touch the red ribbon tied in her hair. My hand falls to her cheek in a caress.

"You're stunning," I whisper in awe.