Chapter 1

February 19, 2033

"Greta, good news," I stress for the eighty-year-old woman sitting primly on the exam table, "you don't have diabetes."

She looks unconvinced, and her frown deepens. "Doctor Kim, I swear I get a little woozy when I don't eat."

"So do I, it happens with some people. It doesn't mean you have diabetes, and it certainly doesn't mean you need insulin shots." I flip her chart open and read through her metabolic panel for the hundredth time. It's still normal. When I'm eighty, I hope I'm in as good shape as she is.

"I'm looking at your fasting blood sugar right now, and it's the picture of health. However, I'd recommend a set eating schedule, so you don't miss a meal and feel lightheaded."

"Are you sure I don't need shots then?"

"Greta, honestly, I can't find anything wrong with you. I don't get to give news like this often so I'm glad I can give it to you. You're perfectly healthy. So, let's get you off this table and on your way back home." With a firm grip, I help her to the floor.

She doesn't let go right away. Instead, she takes my hand. Her fingers squeeze and then roll the wedding bands on my finger. Her eyes take them in with a wistful smile.

"You are a good doctor, Jennie...a good girl. I hope your husband knows how wonderful you are."

I give her a grin, correcting her gently. "Thank you, my wife loves me very much."

She pats my cheek. "Okay, dear. I'm glad."

Once we're in the hallway, I point toward the exit sign. "All right, Yeji at the front desk will see you out. Take care and don't let those old dogs over at the retirement community give you a hard time."

She waves me off with a laugh, and I pause to drop off her patient folder as I head toward my office. One of my assistants grabs it and gives me a look.

"Should we start dissuading her from making appointments?" She creases the folder before jotting down a note. "Yeji was saying that her insurance isn't paying out anymore. They classified her as a non-payable hypochondriac."

Frowning, I steal a glance at Greta's departing figure as she slowly slips out the door. "No, I'd never forgive myself if something happened to her. I'll take a million false alarms over that."

"Okay, you're the boss."

I turn to my office, wondering what would provoke that kind of question in the first place. My chair creaks when I drop into it. The mahogany desk before me is deep red in the patchy sunlight outside, and I trace the edge of it, lost in my thoughts. When I hear a tap on my office door, I swivel toward the sound, and the smiling face I see in the window makes my heart flutter.

It's Roseanne.

I wave her in as I stand from my seat. She will always fill me with a young loping love that makes me rush to my feet.

"How's your day going?"

Before she can answer, I use one hand to close the door and the other to cuff her lapel and kiss her. Fortunately, Roseanne doesn't seem to mind as she presses close. When I feel raindrops under my hands, I break out the kiss. "You're all wet. Did you walk here?"

Roseanne laughs, her eyes as ruddy as my desk in the fading light. "Yeah, it was beautiful."

I notice her juggling a small bouquet, and she sets it down on the desk before shrugging out of her overcoat. She's in my arms again instantly, and I hum my approval when I feel her pregnant belly press into me. I forgot my questions, the whole world, and just sway slowly with her.