Chapter Forty: Fireflies (Part 2)

Comincia dall'inizio

"He just lost his best friend. And God know's what's going to happen to Boyd by the end of the night." Derek's jaw squared. He sharply nodded, noting that he understood. 

"What if...what if we're wasting our time."

"Derek."

"I'm not like Scott. And he was right, they already killed someone." He mused. I shook my head, unsure of why his faith began to waiver again. "Peter found me in the preserve. He said this is what Deucalion wants. What if, what if I'm making another mistake?"

"I know you're not taking advise from Peter on morals." My lips twitched into a frown. 

Derek shook his head. "He knows Cora's alive." 

"And?"

"And he didn't seemed shocked." I debated searching for the words to ask Derek how he was holding up finding his dead sister was alive and coping with Erica's death. Anxiously, I fidgeted my fingers together as I debated how to bring it up.

"And you?" Derek whipped his head to stare at me, his eyes melting in to mine. His Adams apple bobbed as he swallowed hard. 

"You should stay with Argent." Derek turned away from looking at me, avoiding answering my question at all costs. The two of us stared off, watching Chris and Scott talk game plan to each other. 

"I think you need all the help you can get tonight." I disagreed.

"You've helped enough." Derek shook his head. Before I had the chance to open my mouth and disagree once more, Derek's entire body tensed. He walked forward, his hearing picking sounds up that my own could not.

"What?" I tensed. Before I could hardly finish speaking, the sounds of growls and snarls filled the air. The shrill horn of Chris' SUV began blaring. Derek stepped forward once more, flicking his claws out. I froze as the two wolves turned the corner, charging towards the entrance we were stationed in. A quiet gasp escaped past my lips as they stood before us and I could feel my body freeze in terror. Boyd and Cora stopped in their tracks as they spotted Derek standing in their path. With two loud snarls, and as quick as they came, the two betas jumped to the roof and disappeared. 

"What just happened?" The words fell out of my mouth and I released a breath that had hitched in my throat. Derek and I rushed out of the dark hallway and to the school entrance, meeting Scott, Isaac, and Chris who rushed up to us with panic stricken faces. 

"They're not going through the school." Chris gaped. 

"They're going over it." Scott announced.

"The rear doors." Chris realized. "Somebody has to get them open." Derek took off into a sprint towards the back doors without hesitation. 

"Somebody has to drive them inside." Scott continued. Immediately, Chris whipped out an electric cattle prod. 

"No." Isaac disagreed. "I'm faster." Not bothering to wait for a comment from the three of us, Isaac took off as well.

"The second they see Isaac they're gonna make a run for it." I insisted, running a frustrated hand through my hair. I paused, looking at Scott as a lightbulb dimmed lightly over my head. "But you know what they won't run from?" Scott looked at me inquisitively. I reached into the pocket of my pants and slid out the pocket knife, flicking the blade open. "Blood."

"Blood." Chris repeated, looking at me and wondering if my idea was just stupid enough to work. Scott's eyes widened. 

"Just like you said. Warm bodies." I thought. Chris nodded, agreeing with the plan. Scott on the other hand, shook his head.