chapter twelve.

"CAPTAIN RYUKO,"

Ryuko turned to the owner of the voice. Yuno stood a few feet away, smiling a bit upon seeing the captain.

"Oh, hey, Yuno," Ryuko said with a smile. "It's been a month since I last saw you. How have you been?"

"I've been doing well, how about you?" Yuno asked.

"I've been good," Ryuko replied. "Have you been sending letters to my sister?"

"Yeah. She sounds like she's doing well... your grandfather takes her to a bunch of places,"

"Oji-chan's always been like that. When I was in the Dragon Tribe for a year, he took me to a lot of random places,"

"Really?"

"Yeah. It was kinda fun,"

"How old were you when you went?"

"Thirteen... shortly after my mom died, my dad thought it would be a good idea to send me back,"

"Oh... I'm sorry,"

"Don't be. It's been more than fifteen years... I've gotten over it... kind of,"

Silence emerged between the two of them. Yuno was freaking out and sweating bullets while Ryuko was just silent because it was funny.

"So what are you doing here?" Yuno asked.

"Oh, right. I need to see William, do you know where he is?" Ryuko asked.

"The captain should be in his office... may I ask what for?" Yuno asked.

"You know of the Dragon Enslavement that's going on, right?"

"I heard of it,"

"Basically, we found some valuable information that might be able to help us with our investigations but the thing is in code so none of us know how to do it but William cause I remember him reading a book about it once,"

"Oh,"

'That's his reply?' Ryuko thought, staring at his sister's friend.

"I'm sure the captain would help," Yuno said.

"I don't think he has a choice," Ryuko said.

"Yuno and... Ryuko?" A voice called out to them.

The two turned to see William without his mask. Yuno immediately gave him a greeting while Ryuko smiled.

"Hey, William," Ryuko said.

"Hello... Ryuko," William hesitated as he smiled.

Ryuko knew that the smile was strained. Maybe he was busy with work or something. But for some reason, Ryuko felt like it wasn't that. Like it had something to do with him.

"I'm going to go then," Yuno said.

"Sure. It was nice talking to you," Ryuko said, patting Yuno's head.

Yuno blinked a few times, looking at Ryuko's hand and then his face.

"It feels like Yoshiko's patting my head," Yuno said.

"Really?" Ryuko asked.

"Feels strange," Yuno remarked before leaving.

"What?" Ryuko asked as he watched the boy walk away.

"You and Yuno seem close," William said.

"I guess," Ryuko said.

"What brings you here?" William asked.

Another strike. Ryuko knew something was up. Usually, when he came over, William would invite him for some tea, regardless if either of them were busy or not. So how come he didn't ask right now?