54. ʜᴇʀ

So I FINALLY got that wattpad update so i can FINALLY start liking the comments with my phone now jeez

and also, PAY! ATTENTION! RIGHT! NOW!

because at long last i discovered the origins of CANON MATTHEO (@yasmineamaro's deleted og mattheo) and holy shit the dude is toxic as fuck, he makes THIS mattheo look like an absolute puppy dog, which really is saying something when considering what's to come in the next chapter <33

kay but oh my GAWD i still have chills; og mattheo was kind enough to remind me of the reason i do not and never will do dark romance

but, like... is it wrong that i was still kinda attracted to him in a way?

dear god of COURSE it's wrong, the terrible TERRIBLE things he(og mattheo) did to her??? like??? you guys need to work together to help fund my therapy sessions now cuz there is seriously something wrong with me

better yet, we'll start a group fund together so we can all get our issues sorted out

repeat after me: he's not real, even in a non-real world.

(but we're obsessed with him anyway and he's the center of our universes it's true!!)

too long of an intro, now let's get on with the story!!

Shell Cottage. Tomorrow. The locket, by whatever means necessary.

Mattheo's eyes take in the words for what seems like the hundredth time. He clutches the parchment tightly between his fingers, observes with mild surprise that his hand isn't shaking in the slightest. A subtle change. Just one of the many that has occurred since Scabior's death.

He Vanishes his father's letter with the flourish of his wand, carefully, so as to not wake her. Y/n has her face buried in his chest. The little puffs of air she gives tickles his neck every once in a while.

Mattheo doesn't bother with trying to fall asleep. He knows he won't be able to, not with what waits for him come sunrise. So instead, he turns to a favorite pastime of his. Watching her. It's sacred moments like these, when she drifts off in his arms and he's allowed to simply be by her side, that serves as enough reason to keep living. Because truly, she means everything to him. Everything, and so much more.

She's beautiful. Damaged like he is, but so much better at coping with the pain. Y/n is braver. Stronger. Fiercer. Which is just a few in the very long list of reasons as to why he is undeserving of her. But Mattheo has never been the noble type, and it's because of that that he refuses to let her go.

The following morning, he parts ways with her at the entrance to Dumbledore's old study, which has now become the property of one Narcissa Malfoy. He's become a regular visitor now, for the fireplace located here is the only source of transportation that can connect the inhabitants of Hogwarts to the outside world. Most of the portraits of former headmasters show only empty canvases, one of the rare exceptions being the painting of a grumbling Phineas Nigellus Black.

Located in the place where Albus Dumbledore's portrait should have gone is an empty glass display, once home to the last known relic of Godric Gryffindor. But the sword is no longer here, it was removed from school grounds by Dumbledore's successor herself the moment the Dark Lord appointed her as new headmistress to the school. The true sword of Gryffindor. As was proven when Bellatrix Lestrange accidentally nicked a Gringotts patrol worker with it during its relocation to her vaults. According to the Black sisters, the young man collapsed on the spot, the remnants of basilisk venom having made its way into his veins.