14. ᴛᴇᴇɴᴀɢᴇ ɢᴏꜱꜱɪᴘ

"Just so you know, I'm still pissed about your dirty little swinging-at-nothing trick," Harry tells me as we head up to Defense together.

"Please, like you hadn't done the exact same thing with Harper a second before that," I snort.

Harry goes red in the face. "You heard that?"

"I've been known to have excellent hearing."

"Right- Well-" he splutters. "Neither my thing or your thing ever happened?" he offers a hand.

"Deal, Potter," I grin. "Now, how come you wanted to talk to me?"

"It's... Complicated," Harry sighs as we enter the classroom. I get confused when he starts leading me over to the seats in the front, because he, Ron, and Hermione usually sit together in the back. "Something sort of... Happened? Last night? With, er..." Harry sighs like an exhausted mother hen. "Right, so you know how Ron and Hermione clearly have feelings for each other?"

"Obviously I do."

"Okay, but see, they got into a fight right after the match, then in the Common Room, Ron snogs this girl named Lavender-"

"What?"

"And then Hermione chucks a bunch of birds at him, I think they were sparrows-"

"Harry, who's Lavender?"

"-Or maybe they were canaries? Yeah, they were definitely canaries."

"Potter!"

"What?" he yelps. "Oh, right-"

I find out who Lavender is a few seconds after that- It's not that hard to miss her, when the blonde comes in clinging onto Ron like her life depends on it.

"Look, I need you to talk to Hermione for me," Harry tells me. "I'd do it myself, but I'm already on thin ice with her already and I don't want to say anything that'll upset her-"

"Because, like all boys, you're an insensitive prick?"

"Hey!"

"Sorry, that was unwarranted," I sigh. "Mattheo's just been getting on my last nerves."

"Riddle? He's not bothering you again, is he?" Harry asks, straightening up.

"The opposite, actually- I need to speak with him about something, but he's been avoiding me since forever."

"Honestly, that sounds more like a reason to celebrate than anything-"

"Mr Potter," Snape appears from out of nowhere, silencing the two of us with his mere presence alone. "Something interesting you'd like to share with the class? I was about to start a lesson on Inferni, one of the deadliest and most sadistic weapons the Dark Lord ever put into use during the first war... But clearly, if the Chosen One himself thinks that teenage gossip is more important than the matter of literal life and death..."

Having gotten twenty whole points knocked off Gryffindor, Harry's in a bad mood by the time we leave class. After promising him that I'll talk to Hermione during Ancient Runes later today, I head back to the Slytherin Common Room to spend my free period catching up on some homework.

But of course, it takes all of two seconds for Pansy to convince me to come chat with her and Daphne by the fireplace instead, and once they start spilling gossip on everything that's been going on since we last had a proper girl's talk, I can't help but let slip what Harry told me. It's not like he asked me to keep it a secret or anything, anyway.

"Weasley and Granger? They liked each other?" Daphne looks horrified.

"And now Weasley's gone off with Brown?" Pansy gags. "Ugh, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd actually rather choose Granger over her."